Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plossl len's ?

Plossl is a magnification eyepiece. used on it own or with Barlow (which magnifies plossl two or three times)

you take your tube focal length divide it with your plossl (mm) and get the magnification of your scope using your chosen plossl.

Hope this helps

What he said :)!!!

Hi dazraz with those 2 plossls you will get a mag of around 70 times for the 17mm and 160 for the 7.5mm eyepiece

1200mm(your scopes focal length) divided by eyepiece size

ie 1200mm divided by 17mm = 70.588

this applies to your 8" skyliner and will differ in other telescopes.

There are lots of eyepiece types and the Plossl design is one of the simplest and most popular.

Eyepieces don't just have a single lens in them, they have several lenses, and the different types are distinguished by the particular arrangement used. The pros and cons of each design comes down to factors such as light transmission, contrast and field of view. And of course cost.

Plossls have a reasonable field of view, good contrast, excellent light transmission, and comparatively low cost. They are excellent all-rounders, and I do virtually all my observing with this type of eyepiece.

Some brands perform better than others. I find TeleVue Plossls excellent, and these are what I use. With any given scope I find that two or three eyepieces is enough for my purposes.

My highest power Plossl is 8mm. It's a good eyepiece, but a small piece of glass to look through, and your 7.5mm Plossl will be much the same. You'll probably find the 17mm more comfortable and more useful.

If they were the ones on Astro Buy & Sell then you got a good bargain. The Skywatcher plossls are fine - better quality than the ones that come as standard with most scopes.

I find around 7mm is usually the best eyepiece focal length for viewing Jupiter with my 1200mm focal length 5" refractor. The scope can handle more power than that but, unless the seeing conditions are exceptional, you don't see any more details.

John

Archived