Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CG5 leg length ?

John

Can anyone who has a CG5 with the 2" steel legs, let me know how tall the mount can be while remaining reasonably (for visual use) stable ?. Height to the dovetail or the tripod top would help.

John

What sort of size/weight scope are you using John. I'll get tape out as the mount is in the garden at the mo.

colin

I'm still thinking on that one Colin - certainly my F/6.5 Vixen refractor which weighs 8lb all up. Possibly my 5" F/9.4 refractor which weighs around 15lb but has a long tube of course. With the latter I may go for a sturdy alt-az mount (like a Giro) and put it on the 2" CG5 tripod.

I'm just looking at options at the moment :)

Thanks

John

Right with a SW ED80 the legs out as far as I feel comfortable with the middle of the puck thingy is 58" high and it feels solid on block paving, the legs are out approx 20". With the C8 newt on it its a bit iffy at that height if I am honest and there is no wind here at the mo but gave the legs a thump and it settled in about 7-8 seconds with a 15mm ep a bit longer than normal I usually have the legs right in for the newt which gives a height of about 42". Put the legs into approx 12" and it felt fine with the newt and I could balance on a lower step on the step ladder :)

Hope that helps colin

Archived