Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Home made light shroud....

dobserver

We put the finishing touches on the light shroud for the 12" Dob today. I think we may have done OK :)

I bought a sheet of neoprene large enough to go round the beast (£18.00), then we cut it to size. I sewed a couple of channels round the top and bottom and we threaded cord through and fitted bungee doofers to tighten it up. Two strips of stick on velcro make the vertical join light proof and make getting it on and off a doddle. I'll stitch these on properly tomorrow when I have time....

Haven't tested it properly as I've been at work tonight, and I have an early start tomorrow - not to mention that Carl is fast asleep in front of the News! So we'll try it out tomorrow night with great anticipation. Did some viewing last night without a shroud and got on OK, although the moon was intrusive and everything I decided to look for was either hidden behind the extension or the fence.....Grrr!

I think I saw the two double clusters that are close together between Cassiopeia and Persius (sorry, but those interminable numbers and letters for labels really turn me off! I think they are NGC 869 and NGC 884 ) I'm going to call them Pinky and Perky :)

Was I seeing them both in my wide angled EP? Or was I just seeing one of them. The one to the bottom left of my view was brighter and seemed to have a larger cluster above and a smaller one below and to the right. The upper right hand cluster was dimmer but denser than the bright one - I tried to make this into a double cluster but I am not convinced that I could! lol

It will be good to look at it/them again tomorrow with the shroud and maybe the moon will not interfere so much. BTW Carl was incredulous that I could see them at all at first. The beast did look as if it were pointing straight at the extension roof, but when he looked for himself he did believe me! I can't wait now to set up at the front of the house tomorrow. Wish we could make it to the Salisbury plain meet tomorrow night - I bet the viewing will be amazing, but work will not allow....:)

Steph

Cool - thanks for that Mick - it did look amazing! I looked for it/them again tonight and I think I saw them, but the viewing was awful.....:) Looked great earlier on while I was at work and then the high cloud ever so gradually crept in.....*sigh*

I am pleased with myself now though, cos I can go straight to M103 in the blink of an eye :) I hope to be able to do that with more and more objects soon...

I hope it is clearer tomorrow - there is so much I want to look for and learn about. To be honest I feel a bit (understatement of the year!) overwhelmed with the amount of new knowledge that I need to acquire. I hope the OU course will help me with that.....if I ever get a proper chance to get on with the coursework. :)

Archived