Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I take a hacksaw to my focuser housing?

themos

Hello, I have had enough of not reaching infinity focus with my Newtonian+DSLR. Either I hack away a bit of the tube and bring the mirror up or I hack away a bit of the focuser housing (the top 10mm) thus allowing the focuser tube to get closer to the secondary. The latter seems easier but I am a bit concerned about making the focuser too wobbly. This is a starterscope, a Celestron 114EQ "PowerSeeker" so it's no great loss if things go badly, I guess. What do you think? Has anybody taken off a bit of the focuser housing ?

By the way, here is a quick note to help you calculate how far away from infinity focus your sensor is if the most distant object it can focus is a known distance away. You need to know your focal length, f. If the most distant object you can focus is L (say 30 meters), you take the ratio L/f (in my case, f is 900mm so L/f = 30/0.9 in meters = 33.3). Then you divide f by this ratio (you should add 1 to the ratio, strictly speaking, but in most cases the ratio will be large enough not to need that correction) and that gives you the distance you need to move the sensor to take it to the focal plane. So when I could focus something 30 meters away, I was 900/34 = 26 mm away. I think I can focus clouds now, they are about 1 km away, so the ratio is 1000/.9 = 1111. That means I'm only 900/1111 = 0.8 mm away. Which means I SHOULD be able to play with the collimation screws to give me the extra distance.

Well, I claim success! A few quarter turns of the collimation knobs and the Bahtinov confirms that I can just about get the Canon through focus. Problem is, the eyepieces now need an extender tube...OK, a slow 4.5" inch Newtonian is not the kind of rig made for imaging but I wanted to have a little play at that focal length.

Archived