Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

advice regarding changing my EQ6 Pro for a William Optics EzTouch Alt-Az Mount

merlinxlm

Hello everybody, I'd appreciate some advice regarding selling my Skywatcher EQ6 Pro and buying a William Optics EzTouch Alt-Az Mount instead. I do like using my Skywatcher EQ6 Pro with a 80 DS Pro tube, I have set it up via EQIDIR control using my net book plus a Logitech Bluetooth games controller. It works a brilliantly, but my only problem is that where I live the weather changes very quickly. So if it rains i have to power down the mount and keep all my gear. So I'm considering changing the EQ6 Pro for a William Optics EzTouch Alt-Az Mount, i have heard good reviews of this head and tripod. I know that the mount is not guided, but the quick setup and dismantling or covering up out ways the gains of the EQ6. What I would like to know is, what is the load capacity of the head, how reliable are they and how easy to use. I know that the EQ6 Pro is a very good mount, but I just don’t get to use it enough and I'm really getting into astronomy at last, plus I've tried to bribe the wife to allow me to build an observatory, but no chance. Please, please any advice very much appreciated, also what would be a reasonable price to ask for the mount, EQIDIR module USB to serial port connector plus a games controller, as I would prefer to sell it as a complete kit.

Personally, I'd keep the EQ6 Pro and look for an alt-az mount in addition. The EQ6 will be ideal if/when the observatory materialises. Keep it for the excellent nights and use the alt-az for the nights when it looks a bit 'iffy'. That would be my plany, anyway...

Ant

another advantage of a second mount is it takes up more room than one mount !!!

give it a while to get her anoyed then suggest you buy / build a shed to keep them in, from there its a short journey to a shed with a roll off roof

another advantage of a second mount is it takes up more room than one mount !!!
Except that the EZTouch doesn't take much space. Get one with a wooden tripod - metal is NBG (unless heavy) as it doesn't damp vibrations.

I have an EZTouch with the WO wooden tripod, which is light & stores in a small space, nevertheless it's quite stable with a FLT 110 on it so it should be fine with an 80mm.

So far as the EQ6 is concerned - you don't have to worry too much about bringing it in if rain threatens, just park the scope, switch off the power & throw a tarp over it. That way you can be up & running again in 2 mins when the shower has passed over, no need to realign. But a "grab 'n' go" altaz mount is still worth having anyway.

As is a second scope to use with it! :) A C6 tube would complement your refractor nicely.

Archived