Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing the moon ?

Hi wanting to look at the moon but it only seems to be high enough in the sky when its still a bit light - is it ok use my 8" Dob withen its just getting dark or can i only use it when its dark ?

Regards Daren

Hi Daren :)

I often use my telescope for some day time viewing of the Moon. Just be very careful not to let the scope anywhere near the Sun, even if it is beginning to set. Never look at it! (I'm sure you know but I just have to reiterate for my peace of mind...)

So yes, go ahead and use it for daytime Moon observing, just be careful of the Sun :grin:

Hi Daren :grin:

I often use my telescope for some day time viewing of the Moon. Just be very careful not to let the scope anywhere near the Sun, even if it is beginning to set. Never look at it! (I'm sure you know but I just have to reiterate for my peace of mind...)

So yes, go ahead and use it for daytime Moon observing, just be careful of the Sun :)

Thanks Amanda :)

You can watch the moon when it's up in a blue sky. One of our members recommended a polarizing filter, rotated to make the sky as dark as possible, for this type of viewing. You could also use a yellow or red filter.The view of the Moon can be quite satisfactory before the sky gets fully dark.

When the Moon is in the part of its orbit that is in the south, it is also 5º below the ecliptic, making it particularly difficult for people in your latitudes. As the year passes, all the phases of the moon move around the ecliptic, so the full Moon is low in summer and high in winter. I find spring the best time to observe the first half of a lunation, as the ecliptic makes a high angle to the horizon that time of year.

If the telescope comes with a big plastic dust cap with a smaller aperture and mini dust cap attached (as many SW scopes do), then put on the dust cap and remove the mini-cap on it in order to "stop down" your aperture and make things more comfortable for your eyes.

If the telescope comes with a big plastic dust cap with a smaller aperture and mini dust cap attached (as many SW scopes do), then put on the dust cap and remove the mini-cap on it in order to "stop down" your aperture and make things more comfortable for your eyes.

wondered why there was one of them on the main cap lol. nice one. :D

Archived