Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last night's Jupiter

The Warthog

For the second time this week, I put my scope on Jupiter last night, after viewing the Moon for a while and then going back inside to watch TV and wait while Jupiter cleared the rooftops. Jupiter was relatively high in the south. Apparently I had just missed a close encounter between Io and Europa, as the two were very close together, and moved apart over the next hour, so some of you may have seen them appearing as one. Wonder what it would look like from Io?

Although the night was humid, I had the best view of Jupiter that I have ever had through a scope of my own. That may not be saying much, but I could see all the major bands of Jupiter, sometimes for seconds at a time. I could not see fine enough detail to see the damage done by the recent comet strike, even if it were in view, and the GRS was on the other side of the planet. Still, I feel encouraged now to go on, as I had been getting a little fed up with astronomy and bad viewing.

Hi Warthog - I was out last night and started viewing Jupiter between 01:00 and 02:00 (BST). Io and Europa (didn't realise which Moons they were until I read your post) were around 5" apart - looked like a close double star. Not normally too interested in occulation events like this though did find it facinating to see them so close together.

Try not to get too downbeat regarding the weather Warthog, I live in the North of England (Leeds), its Summer (allegedley) and Ex Hurricane Bill is on its way tomorrow morning!!!!

Happy days !

Jarvo

Archived