Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eqmod for heq5pro syntrek questions

hello again

i'm interested in connecting my heq5 pro syntrek mount with my laptop and from a research i made the best way to do it is with eqmod but i have some questions.

in order to connect my heq5 pro syntrek do i need to purchse an eqdir module or do i have to upgrade to a synscan handcontroller?

in the case of purchasing an eqdir module is following the connection correct?

laptor -> usb/rs232 cable converter -> straght rs232 cable -> eqdir interface -> rs232/db9 cable -> heq5 pro mount (with no syntrek hand controller)

which port of the mount do i use, the hand controller port or the autoguider port?

Hello KooKoo,

Ignoring the connections for a moment, the reason that people connect their mount to a laptop is to control the mount using software running on the laptop, rather than using a synscan handset.

You have referred to EQMOD as the software you want to use. I get very confused about which mounts EQMOD supports. Someone else will probably reply to this post and tell you whether yours is supported but if not, join the Yahoo EQMOD group and have a look there.

OK, assuming your mount is supported i.e. it has the correct controller and motors in the mount, you can connect from your laptop's serial port via an EQDIR module to the hand controller port. If like me you have no serial port, you need a USB to serial adapter - buy one from Astronomiser because not all of them work. So my connection looks like ..... USB<>Serial adapter plugged into a USB port, EQDIR screwed to the adapter, one end of a DB9 cable screwed to the other side of the adapter, the other end screwed into the mount (hand controller port).

You need to install EQMOD, ASCOM and a suitable planetarium program to control the mount. If you want to autoguide, I suggest you install PHD - that will pulse guide down the same connection.

HTH

Mike

PS Whereabouts in the world are you from?

i have joined the eqmod yahoo group and read the whole site many times but the section on how to connect the mount is a bit confusing thats why i post this question

so finally the right connection is

laptop -> usb/rs232 cable converter -> straght rs232 cable -> eqdir interface -> rs232/db9 cable -> heq5 pro mount

the main reason that i want to control my mount from the pc is because i am upgrading for deep sky astrophotography

thanx for your reply mikep. if anyone has an eqmod connection with their mount pls confirm that it is correct

ps i am from greece

Hi Kookoo,

I have used EQMOD for nearly two years.

laptop -> usb/rs232 cable converter -> straght rs232 cable -> eqdir interface -> rs232/db9 cable -> heq5 pro mount
What you have listed above is correct, except you don't need the "straight rs232 cable" if you screw the EQDIR directly to the USB/serial converter.

Mike

Or you can use an FTDI cable and patch it onto a serial cable. I bought one from

FTDI Chip Home Page for 12 pounds. I then soldered the leads to a board and soldered a serial cable to the other side. Cost was around 15 to 20 pounds and it is really easy to do. I am on holiday at the moment so don't have all the details but I am sure if you ask around or search a bit you will find the answers. This works well, is cheap and well I don't have a 3rd plus...it just works.

Neil C

What you have listed above is correct, except you don't need the "straight rs232 cable" if you screw the EQDIR directly to the USB/serial converter.

thanks mike i totally forgot that i could plug the eqdir directly to the usb/rs232 converter:BangHead:

ncjunk i will make a bit more of research about eqmod and then i will go ahead and make the connections

the heq5 pro doesn't have an rs232 port only the eq6 has one, but from what i see from the eqmod site it seems that i can purchase a ttl 232r cable sold here

Future Technology Devices Intl - Cables: TTL-232R and variants

and from what i can tell from here

EQDIRECT

i don't even need an rs232 cable and i can connect directly from my usb port.

Don't worry I had the same doubts when I made my lead up but in the end thought the worst that would happen is I would be 15 pounds down.

I haven't used it with vista but I believe it should just work.

Neil C

the worst that would happen is I would be 15 pounds down

I may be concerned unnecessarily but isn't it possible that incorrect connections could damage the circuitry in the mount and then Kookoo would be more than £15 down.

Mike

Yes, good point you do need to check and double check your connections. There is a risk of damage but as long as you are carefull you should be fine.

On the EQ6 I double checked the connections before hand on the FTDI side and also on the serial cable I bought.

I was talking to a couple of other people who made the same cable and they also triple checked everything prior to connecting. I would be interested if anyone has broken their mount as I have heard it is possible but not found anyone who has had the misfortune.

good point though mike.

Neil C

• 1 month later...

i purchased the ttl232 cable a week ago and it arrived the day before yesterday so yesterday i made the connections and run the eqmod software with both th CdC software and the stellarium software and it works perfectly :):headbang::). i think i will never use again the synterk hand contrlorer.

thanks everybody for your help ;):icon_salut:

Archived