SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first four Messiers and the Milky Way

iamjulian

Despite having had my scope for over a month, I have had a month of cloudy skies, so last night was only my second proper outing (if you discount setting up in the living room to look at the full moon). First things first, Andromeda Galaxy. Significant smudge and another smudge above it. So that's M31 and M32 in the bag. I got Stellarium out on the laptop and put it in night mode but it was so dark I couldn't see my keyboard so while trying to find out which keys would zoom, I managed to switch off the stars and couldn't get them back! Computer away and back to trying to remember other DSO locations. The Plough was nice and clear so I had a look for Bode's Nebula. Gave up after fifteen minutes and had a look at Epsilon Aurigae. Starting to look dimmer? Possibly. I photographed it a few weeks ago and will do so again in a few months with the same settings, for comparison.

Decided I had given up too easily on Bode's so I went back and after another ten minutes I found it! M81 and M82 in the same view. Excellent. Sky at night mag said to look for the dust lane in M82, but I couldn't see it.

By now it was getting properly dark and I realised that all the observing I have done so far has been at a time of night where it hasn't actually been properly dark. It was only half and hour or so since I looked at M31 but looking at it again now it was much clearer. I also realised that the smudge above it that I had been thinking was M110 was in fact M32. Beginner's mistake. So I haven't seen M110 yet but I now know I need to look further out and below (in the inverted eyepiece).

Well I was about done and ready for some sleep, when I decided to look overhead. Wow. So. Many. Stars. I have never seen anything like it. The eyepiece must have contained several hundred. And with the naked eye, I could clearly see the Milky Way! From my back garden! At first I could just see the stripe cutting through Cygnus, but a while later it appeared to have moved so it was slightly below Deneb, where before it was through the middle of it. I was confused by this because I knew it wouldn't move relative to Deneb in the space of half and hour. This morning I realised the Milky Way splits and part does indeed dip below Deneb. As it got darker it became defined which is why it appeared to change shape. I knew my sky was quite dark but I didn't imagine I would be able to see the Milky Way from my back garden. Result.

Hi Julian :rolleyes:

Fantastic report, you got alot in there! Congrats on bagging your first Messiers, it is such an achievement when you see those first little fuzzies isn't it? :evil6:

It'll be really interesting to see your comparisons of Epsilon Aurigae :eek:

I couldn't see any dust lanes in M82 with my 5" newt (what scope were you using?) but I could clearly see a well defined core and a fading wispy, dusty disk coming from the centre - amazing!

You mention about being able to see M31 a little clearer when it became absolutely dark. I imagine you were also better dark adapted too, I remember comparing a twilight, none dark adapted view of M81 and M82 to a 1am view when it was pitch black - the results were quite obvious! I'd wait a little until you are fully dark adapted to try for more fuzzies, perhaps use the time to notch up some doubles :)

and wow, the milky way... I've only seen it twice. Once from a site in Gower, West Wales and the other time was a week ago whilst observing the Perseids. It was exactly as you describe it, like a streak of a dusty white something streaking though Cygnus... I was also confused by the Deneb area, but it all makes sense once you realise the way the Milky Way appears against the stars :D

Really great report, looking forward to your next 4 messiers now :)

Very well done Julian. You are right - the sky isn't properly dark until midnight and it does make a noticeable difference. It does take a lot of patience doesn't it - but that's the fun of it. I've attached a quick image (no pretence of being an astro-photo) which shows how M82 looked in my eyepiece with its dust lanes and brighter star-forming patches. You might like to consider some globular clusters next. M13 and M92 in Hercules are not too difficult at the moment. Also M2 and M15 stand out well. Al;l are visible in binos too. Happy hunting and try to make good use of your dark skies. Many of us would love to be able to see the Cygnus Rift of the Milky Way from our back gardens.

post-15108-133877392781_thumb.jpg

Great observing report, Julian, we seem to get our fare share of cloud up here, don't we?

I was out last night - pretty chilly, wasn't it? (but FANTASTIC seeing!!:)) My finderscope and 26mm EP dewed over after an hour and a half, LOL.

Thanks Amanda, I am using a 6" newtonian. Trying to decide what those next 4 Messiers will be.

Mike, thanks for the photo. It wasn't quite that well defined for me, but I was looking at it at just before 11pm so perhaps not quite dark enough. Thanks for the other Messier tips too.

Carol, thanks, that saves me calling it the splitty bit.

Sam, yes, hasn't been great recently has it. You are right, it was cold for summer. I didn't have too much trouble with dew but then I probably didn't stay out late enough. I am still building up to an all nighter. Need to pace myself.

Julian, if you haven't tried it yet a hairdryer is a useful bit of kit for (carefully and on low heat setting) clearing the dew from your optics. Dew caps, which can easily be made out of black card or bought as flexible tubes, also delay the onset of dew.

I was looking at the 3 lovely Messier open clusters (M36, M37 and M38) in Auriga the other night. Very easy to find using Talitha's Smiley Face asterism and all clearly visible in binoculars. Trouble is Auriga is a bit low until about 2.00 a.m. Also by then Mars is beneath it.

Carol - Quite right but I think it is generally agreed that the Northern Coalsack is only part of the Cygnus Rift - not clear exactly which part though.

Archived