Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, is that what i saw tonight and last night?

lennon890

Last night (18th August 2009, 23:30 GMT) and tonight (19th August 2009, 23:15 GMT) i saw a planet in the East, I think that it was Jupiter but i'm not 100% sure because at the moment I think Neptune and Jupiter are both in the East. Am i right, was Neptune and Jupiter close together in the East?

It was very bright, in fact to the naked eye it looked just like a star, by far the brighest in the sky - see photograph bellow.

http://file049a.bebo.com/11/original/2009/08/20/00/1281793371a11456688329o.jpg

Through my telescope It was a white colour (with a slight hint of green). When i looked at it last night there looked to be four moons orbiting it aswell.. this also make me suspect that it is Jupiter, however tonight there were not any moons that i could see, it was definitely the same planet as well.

Thanks you, all replies appreciated!

-Lennon890 :)

I reckon that was Jupiter all right - the moons change position night to night - see the other observing reports for tonight - 2 moons in transit plus another behind to planet so you might only have seen the one (Callisto) this evening. The green colouring may be false colour introduced by your scope or eyepieces - to me the planet is very pale lemon with the belts slightly darker in contrast and slightly brownish / rust in hue.

John

Archived