Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3rd night under the stars

Well looked like i good night so i set up my scope looked at my stellerium software and was puzzled why jupiter was not showing - then realised my computer date was set to june Duh !

Picked up on jupiter still not very good vision but impressive all the same.

Have realised my son has picked up operating the Dobsonian 8" quicker than me so he has got the job, finally got him off the internet and outside thumbs up.

Good job on getting him away from the computer! :-)

This will sound a bit silly, but I find if you keep observng Jupiter for some time more details begin to emerge. I've no idea why this is the case but I was able to make out definite banding on the planet, and the contrast beween these bands and the rest of the planet seemed to increase the longer I studied it. I was scanning for the Great Red Spot but think I bit off more that I could chew.

Good job on getting him away from the computer! :-)

This will sound a bit silly, but I find if you keep observng Jupiter for some time more details begin to emerge. I've no idea why this is the case but I was able to make out definite banding on the planet, and the contrast beween these bands and the rest of the planet seemed to increase the longer I studied it. I was scanning for the Great Red Spot but think I bit off more that I could chew.

yes i have noticed this also - i stuck my camera at the eyepiece last night and these were the results

Login | Facebook

Login | Facebook

Great!!

You can see a lot of detail there.

Visual observation is a skill that comes with experience, and as you practice you'll see more and more detail.

Try looking slightly away from the object.

At the very back of our eye, bang in the middle, is where the optic nerve connects and this isn't sensitive at all, meaning that if you look straight at an object, you won't see much detail.

Astronomers use 'averted vision' and look slightly to the side of the object, making the light fall onto a much more sensitive area of the eye.

Give it a go, it's odd at first but you soon get used to it.

Also, the atmosphere sometimes gives brief moments of very stable seeing, and you will see more detail then.

Beware of cameras though....it can lead to a very expensive hobby :)

Cheers

Rob

They look good - there are moments when the bands north and south of Jupiter's equator are very clear. I might try to get a couple of short clips next time I'm out! I took one picture of Jupiter by pointing my camera down the EP, but unfortunately it just came out as a white ball. Strangely Io (also in the frame, right next to Jupiter) looked quite good, though.

Jupiter looks much more impressive through your scope than mine! :-)

Archived