Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

apo for imaging

hi all could do with some advice i'd like to buy a refractor for imaging i've got £700.00 to spend could probably push to £800.00, i've been looking at the orion eon 88 ed apo which is £699.00 as i'm still learning the art of imaging {going by the review's} it seem's like a good buy or would i be better saving more and getting 120

i've never owned a refractor before so any help would be appreciated

cheers

What camera/CCD are you using with it?

The thing to remember with imaging is that aperture isn't everything, you're primarily concerned with focal length and f/number (which, of course, are related to aperture). To take a simplified view, the former sets the image scale, the latter exposure time and - in the case of refractors - the colour correction. So 'fast' (i.e. low f/number) is good, BUT a general rule of thumb is "fast, cheap, well-corrected - pick any two'. Fast, well corrected refractors are expensive, especially as apertures increase.

So for an imaging refractor i'd be primarily concerned with optical quality, colour correction and having a good solid focuser - plus you'll probably need a field flattener if it's a DSLR or big-chip CCD. So i'd go for a good-quality 80mm triplet, rather than going for larger apertures.

I agree with Ben, stick with a fairly short focal length whilst you are getting to grips with things. You will have a wider field of view and the lower magnification makes for a much more forgiving set up when it comes to tracking and focusing.

A Skywatcher ED80 would be an excellent choice, well within budget and a superb performer. You will really be able to cut your teeth with a scope like this and, if you ever want to move on you will have no problems selling it.

The Meade 5000 80mm triplet may also be worthy of consideration at around £550ish. But you will hear nothing but good things about the Skywatcher Equinox scopes (At least I have yet to find anyone who isn't happy with theirs)

Archived