Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

auto guiding

ronaldo999

Hi

looking at upgrading to an autoguiding system, current set up celestron C6 XLT with a deep sky imager II colour. I am using a CG5 mount with a synscan goto. I am looking at getting the orion star shoot autoguider and the following guidescope

Guidescope 80mm F8

Would the mount be able to take the weight of this setup, i know balancing will be more critical. Also how would i mount both scope together???? new dovetail or rings. Any links to suitable product appreciated

Andy

How about a QHY5 on a 50mm finder as I and others are sucessfully using, it saves quite a bit of weight and nice wide FOV to find a guidestar.

Is there any advantage that the orion star shoot autoguider has over the QHY5 that justifies the extra cost? :)

Pete

did not know this was an option, what software would i need to use?. the only thing that attracted me to orion was the ease of use and the software is provided and is apparently a one click solution???

Only software you need is free, the drivers for the QHY5 (QHY5prv1024) and PHD guiding software, both downloads are available on the internet, Talk to Bern at modernastronomy he can help you.

You load QHY5 driver - plug in the camera to USB and set up (remember the camera has to go into the same USB socket each time) - load/run PHD - using the buttons at the bottom of PHD window select - camera= CCD labs Q guider - mount = on camera - click loop video button and focus - select a star click PHD button, calibration then runs followed by guiding.

ST4 cable goes to the mount! or in my case to my starbook controller.

Pete

Archived