Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

imaging jupiter GRS with SW 130p question

acharris77

Hi all, I was out imaging last night at 23:25 and ended about 00:10, imaging jupiter mostly and some moon. I look at stellarium before I went out and it said that the GRS was showing. So I imaged 5 100 secs AVI to sort through after.

When I processed them, I had some good detail on the surface, but I could not see the GRS. Can the GRS be imaged with a 130mm reflector or not, as I am sure I have seen a member on here with a website of images he took with his 130p and jupiter and I seen the GRS??

Also would viewing conditions with the full moon have had any effect on the conditions, as the moon werent very far away from jupiter last night.

I will post up the images I took last night when finish messing around with them, as I am quite happy with them and getting more use to focusing and stuff with the Toucam. Thanks.

I had some good detail on the surface, but I could not see the GRS. Can the GRS be imaged with a 130mm reflector or not

Yes it can .... but this really does depend on the seeing, which is generally very poor in the UK at the moment & will remain so until the jet stream moves away. The GRS is fairly pale at the moment & doesn't show up all that well (unless you really stretch the contrast), the "eyelid" bay in the SEB that the GRS sits in is more obvious especially in images taken in red light.

Thanks for that great advice there. So looks like I wil have to wait until viewing conditions improve here. That is OK, as I can practice with the focusing and stuff so that when conditions do finally improve some point, then I will be able to get the image good.

I am going to try and catch the moons at different times, alignment and stuff and just generally have fun with looking back over the pictures to try and see the journey of jupiter (probably some stupid, but it will be good practice for me anyway....lol)

Thanks again.

I have looked at Jupiter with my 130P - have seen the orangey bands, but no red spot. My seeing last night was disturbed by heat currents from the roof of the house across the road. Annoying, but the first time I have been able to see this effect.

Archived