NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Veil in two parts

roundycat

I re-processed this using a synth green that used a lot less Ha than the first version. My thought was that it would separate the colours a bit but it hardly seems any different. Shown here in two parts as the wide field (FSQ/Artemis 11002) doesn't produce a very good jpeg, you really need to see it at A3.

Dennis

post-15519-133877389696_thumb.jpg

post-15519-133877389702_thumb.jpg

Daniel, this was taken using a 35mm size chip and the worse thing about all those stars is that when you shrink the picture down to 800 or so pix wide from 4007 and then compress it as a jpeg a lot of them simply disappear.

I avoid star reduction like the plague if I possibly can but sometimes shrinking the bigger stars is worth it. I would do this using individual selections. If you have trouble with all stars getting too big and obvious you should look to your stretching antics. Never shift the white point, using mid range (or gamma) shifts will shift the white point automatically. Of course, if you overexpose all stars will tend to bloat, something else to watch out for!

Dennis

Bloat is my nemesis Dennis, on the astro front and otherwise, lol. On this faint object it's really difficult not to overexpose the stars, or end up with a huge field of them. I experience the same effect when reducing a large image, but in the case of the mosaic, that was not much of an option.

Daniel

Archived