Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Its a bit large.

vlebo

Some of you may recall I was thinking about buying a scope for my holiday in 5 days time and after speaking to various peeps decided to go for a pair of Binos , after trying out a pair of Helios 15x70's I thought I might go for a bit more aperture so had a look at the 20x80's which were fine until I saw the 20x90's and so , as usual ,aperture fever kicked in and I bought the 20x90's.

Got them today and eek! they are pretty big and at 3.7 kilos not exactly what I might call portable. I can steadily hand hold them for about 20 minutes before I need to rest them and the daytime views are very clear with excellent colours and very sharp right across.

Putting them in my case may not leave room for much else so I am off to get a camera case that they fit in and a monopod for my hols.

Full report when I get back but so far , very happy with them, excellent quality at a very reasonable price

I got them from Kay Optics in Morden , Surrey from a very helpful chap who ordered them from OVL on Friday and I got them today all in at £200.00 with no delivery charge , a good deal cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Here are a couple of pics of the Helios kicking sand in the face of my 10x50 Meades.

Vlebo

I use the Helios 25 x 100 and they are a dream to use - very addictive. Just a couple of things to consider with big binos (from bitter experience). You do need a stable tripod and a secure way of attaching the bins to it. You must make sure the connection is firm - not always easy on cold, dark nights. Don't leave them somewhere where someone can walk into them and, if possible, try not to use them over concrete or other hard surface. They are very difficult and expensive to get repaired and never quite the same afterwards.

Good grief ... my 10x50's saw the picture and crawled away into the corner in embarrassment.

Not sure I could lift them, let alone hold them steady. Bet the views are fantastic though.

Mike

I knew 34 years of weight training would one day come in useful , as soon as I get a clear night I will call in .

Vlebo

Lordy - seems like you get a workout and an observing session at the same time. They really do look excellent. I've no experience of large bino's but a question sprang to mind... are the Achro or Apochro - i.e. do they have a lot of false colour ?

I bet the view must be immense - especially as you can relax both eyes.

I am not too sure but I assume they are achromat for the price , have only looked through them during the day but very clear and crisp colours with no distortion on the edge.

Vlebo

I use the Helios 25 x 100 and they are a dream to use - very addictive. Just a couple of things to consider with big binos (from bitter experience). You do need a stable tripod and a secure way of attaching the bins to it. You must make sure the connection is firm - not always easy on cold, dark nights. Don't leave them somewhere where someone can walk into them and, if possible, try not to use them over concrete or other hard surface. They are very difficult and expensive to get repaired and never quite the same afterwards.

All good advice

Thanks

Archived