Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for glass

Milamber

Hi all - I need some glass is all, optical quality, about 5" x 2". Can have a slight tint - could even be resin- or acrylic-based - but optically clear is the important thing, two pieces. Anyone got any ideas?

Arthur - not telling yet :)

I have two of these I was going to use as flats in future large scopes I made, but apart from a 16" f4.5 WIP, and has been for about two years, It's doubtful I will need them.

Octagonal shape, long dimensions are 115mm x 80mm x 10mm thick.

Unfortunately, the uncoated surfaces are very finely ground.

They are optically flat, but to what wavelength I don't know.

I don't know the reason for needing them, but that's your secret.

Your request reminded me I had these. The other one needs to be rescued from a secret place I have forgotten about for the moment.

The small crescent shadow is a shadow, and not a blemish

Ron.

post-13213-133877389584_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I should elaborate - these are for looking through, need only be thick enough to keep dirt out and will need to be able to display a projected beam - whilst at the same time letting various laser beams pass unrestricted... In effect, I need transparencey from UV right through to IR! They could even be M/Cycle visor material, but with the proviso that they are flat and will not distort an image.

Arthur

Thanks for the offer, but I should elaborate - these are for looking through, need only be thick enough to keep dirt out and will need to be able to display a projected beam - whilst at the same time letting various laser beams pass unrestricted... In effect, I need transparencey from UV right through to IR! They could even be M/Cycle visor material, but with the proviso that they are flat and will not distort an image.

Arthur

Well, a bit of Sodium Hydroxide, a little optical pitch to make a lap, an hours polishing and away you go.:)

I know!, you haven't got time.:)

What about a Flat TV Protection screen. Cut two pieces of one of those. The old analogue ones. Plenty of those about now, the crusher aint got all of em.

What flat tv protection screen? It does need to have some strength, so got to be stiff...

I am using a Toshiba analogue TV in the Computer room. Connected to a Freeview box of course. The front glass sits in front of the CRT, and is not a part of it, separate glass screen. Looks pretty flat to me, although the eye can't detect small undulations.

It was just a thought.

Well, looks reasonable in the 850-1000nm range for my IR... the UV looks poo but that's not a real requirement - I was only including it because I had the option anyway... Looks good all round though, it has more good than bad at least - though I have been also looking at microscope/specimen slides. Along with that I have also been considering other stuff... but I should be sorted now thanks :)

Arthur

Well, there are hints here and there on SGL if you look for them, both in recent posts of mine and possibly some future ones ... since I cannot right now get to spend time at the workshop (even if I could get in right now) I have to do *something* :)

But I ain't telling until it's finished, so there :)

Arthur

Wanted opticaly flat glass, resin or somesuch to FREZNEL LENS. What are you up to Arthur :p I bet you are trying to gather light to all four scopes on the wonder rig :eek:. I have got it :) you are going to put a light house on the new tamac :)

Archived