SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Eyepieces?

Would just like to have some input on what eyepieces I should get or what eyepieces i could add to my collection. I currently have a 20mm erecting eyepiece, a 10mm eyepiece and a 4mm plossl eyepiece. Do you think i should buy a barlow, and if so 2x or 3x? And what size should i buy for looking at dso?

I know most of you are sick of this type of question as it depends on what type of telescope etc but i would like any opinions or ideas. Thanks.

You have a good range of focal lengths already.

A good quality X2 Barlow would be a good investment. It will effectively double your eyepiece collection in one hit. But like you say, it will depend on the scope you use.

The 4mm will become 2mm with a X2 barlow and most scopes will not take that mag well.

I would look at getting the best eyepieces you can afford. It is half the optical system at the end of the day.

If you are comfortable with the focal lengths you have try the same size but a different type I.e. Orthoscopic, Plossl etc. Second hand always makes more sense as if they are not to your taste you can sell them for pretty much what you paid for them.

Lee.

I have the older version of the Revelation kit as in Febuarys sky at night mag and it won best buy, and was using them on a Skywatcher 130p much the same as yours, I think I paid around £65 second hand for them and I think there a bargain even if you buy new around £130 these will last. I also bought a good second hand barlow, as said above it will double your eyepice collection for little money, in the eyepice kit there`s a 32mm eyepiece and this is a lovely bit of kit, heavy piece of glass and feels quality and great for star clusters.

If you think about it buying a fair quality kit makes good sense i.e.

you get 5 eyepieces, around £20 each new if you were to buy them individualy,

£ 100

a barlow lense around £20

£20

5 filters easy £10 each

£50

a case around £30 if not more new

£30

and a couple of camera adapters thrown in, so thats £200 easy, so for £130 ish new still a good deal, even better second hand. :)

Pointless in getting a x2 barlow as you already have a 10mm which barlowing your 20mm would achieve. Also barlowing your 10mm will give you 5mm, pointless as you already have a 4mm.

If you barlow your 4mm that would give 2mm which is way to much power.

Get yourself a nice 32mm plossl for wider views.

I have the same scope and found the 20mm a bit poor for astro use (too dark and with a narrow field of view). I added these EP below to share between the 130EQ and a DIY 90mm refractor

15mm Celestron Plossl

32mm Meade 4000 series

26mm Meade 4000 series

5mm Celestron X-Cel

2x Meade 126# barlow

They all work great, but I mostly use the 32mm, 15mm and barlow. All can be aquired quite cheap via ebay. The 5mm x-cel justice is good for planets.

You wont go wrong with the other suggestions either. I now rarely use the original 10mm and 20mm that shipped with the scope.

If I had to pick just 1 EP, it would be the 32mm, helps you find what you are looking for. Which is difficult wth the red dot finder provided.

Good luck

John

Pointless in getting a x2 barlow as you already have a 10mm which barlowing your 20mm would achieve. Also barlowing your 10mm will give you 5mm, pointless as you already have a 4mm.

Mick you'r spot on with your comments. I must have been half asleep when I read the numbers. :):embarrassed::)

Lee.

Archived