Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece and filter kit choice

I just got my Explorer 150PL Saturday, but thanks (?) to a rather dull, grey sky I haven't gotten to use it yet.

However, I do understand that I really should increase the eyepieces to more than the 10mm and 25mm that came with the telescope.

I have read the tutorials/primers, but since I haven't had a chance to use the scope yet, I don't know what I can expect or what I should get.

So maybe I'm jumping way ahead to conclusion on this, but I thought about simply purchasing a full kit, so I noticed the Celestron kit: Celestron Telescope Eyepiece and Filter Kit - 1.25 Inch Format - Telescope Accessories at Telescopes which at $139 is not bad (it'll cost more than $360 in Norway). Is this kit any good?

But then I noticed the Zhumell kit at $99 Zhumell Telescope 1.25 Inch Eyepiece and Filter Kit - Telescope Accessories at Telescopes and wondered if I should go for this instead? The video review says it's quite good; but then again, I wouldn't know :)

As for my 6" f/8, is there a general rule of thumb for which eyepieces I should own?

Also, I saw on Skywatcher's web pages that you shouldn't wear an eye patch when looking through the scope, but instead get used to have both eyes open. I found having both eyes open, at least in daylight, very difficult to get used to, so I'm thinking of getting an eye patch.

Do you use an eye patch or do Skywatcher have a point (due to risk of something called lazy eye)?

The Revelation Plossl set is one of the best regarded eyepiece sets.

Although I bought that set, with the benefit of hindsight I would not have bought ANY eyepiece set, and I don't recommend that anyone else does either. People say "you can learn from it" - but all I learnt is not to waste money on eyepiece sets.

Eyepiece sets are just a gimmick. They look nice in their aluminium case, but astronomy isn't really a hobby for the fashion-conscious. Much better to squirrel money away for the eyepieces you'll use most: "brightest magnification", "widest view" and "maximum clear magnification"

My favourite eyepiece tutorial is this one:

Cuir's Blurb - Eyepiece philosophy.

I saw on Skywatcher's web pages that you shouldn't wear an eye patch when looking through the scope, but instead get used to have both eyes open
If you're in darkness, there's no difference. If you're not, it's too distracting - so I don't know where they got that particular pearl of wisdom from...

I use an eyemask (the things they give away on airlines). you can choose which eye (or both) to cover. Very handy in a backyard swamped with streetlighting.

A nice EP is the televue plossls that secondhand are a good price and will work on "fast" scope well, so, if like me, you later end up with a fast telescope the TV plossls are sort of future proof and they are of good quality.

I have a revelation set, excellent VFM and good quality and work very well in my F7.5 Refractor but I found them lacking at F4.

I went with the Celestron kit when I bought my scope, but had the Revelation set been available then I would have gone with that one instead.

I think that these sets represent a good choice for people just starting out in astronomy. They give a very reasonable idea of what a variety of differing magnifications will look like through the scope for a low cost. I find mine perfectly acceptable both at native f10 and even "OK" at f6.3. Even the higher power ones which don't lend themselves to my scope I find useful for nailing alignment and centring subjects on the cam. Only a couple of the filters get used with any regularity (particularly the moon filter) though.

My plan now is to upgrade my diagonal to a 2" one with a 1.25" adaptor so I can continue to use these while gradually building up my collection using better glass as funds permit.

However if you have the opportunity to go to star parties or local astro club nights, you might be able to view through a plethora of other people's eps and decide yourself the kind of ones you'd like to end up with instead of buying a kit. I didn't have that option, sadly.

Another eye-patch user here too. Made from one half of an airline mask with some card inserted to make it a bit more comfortable. Invaluable if you're at a dark site IMO.

Nick

Perhaps that's just it. The trend these days is for reflector scopes to be around F5 like mine, and I think that's below the tipping point where the revelation (aka GSO) plossls work well

Thanks, all. Mine's an f8, does that means the revelation set will work better?

Thanks, all. Mine's an f8, does that means the revelation set will work better?

It means all eyepieces will work better compared to an F5 :)

(at least theoretically)

I'd be interested to know if anyone knows for sure whether the performance of a specific eyepiece actually improves, or whether it's simply a side-effect of the fact that for a specific magnification of image, you'll be using a different longer-length eyepiece, and that longer length eyepieces are known to be less prone to aberrations...

Interesting to know the specifics...

After doing a lot of Googling (boy, sure is quiet at work nowadays!), I did actually set for the Meade Series 4000 set. Then I just now went back to this thread and remembered that most people recommended the Revelation eyepiece set, which is a lot cheaper.

But, in a perfect world, would I chose the Revelation over the Meade or the other way around?

EDIT: In a perfect world I would chose among a few eyepieces and not buy a kit at all, but I don't live in a such; I'm a beginner and there's no astro parties around here where I can try other people's eyepieces in my scope for comparison. So since I don't know what's best or what to expect, I'd rather "waste" money on a full blown set than an expensive eyepiece which doesn't suit my needs. :)

In that case, the Revelation set will get you going and fulfill basic eyepiece needs.

There are a few variations of the kit to be found at different prices. Some have a 6mm plossl instead of a Barlow lens, and some kits have filters whilst others do not. If your scope was an F5 then the Barlow version would be essential, but since your scope is an F8 then you can decide.

Some people don't like Barlows, since it's more faff.

After much experience my advice is enjoy the two eyepieces you have got for a while and then slowly and carefully after much advice and looking through others scope pick aboout three or four eyepiece focal lengths such as 30mm 15mm 12mm and 6mm and then gradually buy really good quality eyepieces the best you can afford.

Otherwise you will buy lots of cheap plossls and wish you had only bought a few decent eyepieces.

Mark

Ah, but the point is - he's not going to get the chance to look through other people's scopes and furthermore, wants to know what eyepiece acquisition is like right now. The Revelation kit is a way to achieve that before considering longer-term eyepiece purchases.

I can understand that.

Telling people to wait and buy only the finest eyepieces, is like telling people to stick with binoculars until they have learned the night sky.

Vulpecula

Fair points. I agree I would still be waiting if I was going to buy £300 Naglers etc but I did say the best you can afford. It is frustrating to me that I bought four or five plossls and now I am going through and buying £50-£100 lenses second hand that are just so much better. I am thinking if I knew then what I know now I would have waited and bought slightly better eyepeices to start with...I do understand what you are saying....

Mark

Knowing what I know now I'd have just bought a limited selection of better quality EPs from the start BUT thats the whole point - I got to know what I know now by buying other things first.

I had the Celestron set and found it quite useful to guide me as to what EPs I should spend money on later. Plus it wasn't at all a bad set to start out with. The 32mm was lovely and the 15mm was pretty good as well.

Its all very well suggeting you could have a TV Plossl for the same price as a kit but how many beginners would know which sizes would be useful for a given scope. Lots would go for a massive magnification and buy stuff like 2mm and 4mm EPs which might well be completely useless.

The star party/astro society idea is good BUT how many are there each year. Lots of astro societies dont do observing so your pretty reliant on hoping somone on SGL lives close and will invite you for a look.

For all those reasons, assuming you can afford it, I see no great evil in EP sets. They form a useful basis for starting out, give you experience of what you like and dont like, and usually can be sold on quite easily when your ready to move on.

OK you all win, buy the set to see what eyepieces work for you and then get three or four good ones....and sell the set.

? Buy a set second hand and then sell it again when you know what you need / like and then you may even make a profit?

Mark

Archived