Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with DeepSkyStacker

Hi All,

From my first imaging session last night/this morning I've got my best set of images (only 6 plus one dark) and trying to put them through DSS just to get some experience with using it.

I'm having what appears to be a major problem though. I've attached smaller versions of two of the images, they are all 180 secs including the dark.

I load the images and the dark into DSS, select check all and save file list then Register checked pictures. On the Advanced tab I move the slider and then click compute number of detected stars. At this point using the RAW files I'm lucky if I get 2! Tried it with a set of TIFs of the same images and I can get anywhere between 2 and in excess of 2000!

Using the TIF versions it goes off and does it's thing and everytime comes back with a message along the lines of 'only 1 of the 6 images will be stacked. Increase the star detection threshhold etc.'

When I did let it stack with just 1 image as it got towards the end I get an 'Out of memory' error...everytime. I'm using version 3.3.0 of DSS.

Any ideas anybody?

Regards

Keithp

post-15528-133877389285_thumb.jpg

post-15528-133877389291_thumb.jpg

Cheers Peter, found out where it's doing the processing, local_settings\temp folder, cleared it all out and this time it got further but just as I thought it was going to finish..bam 'Out of memory' error.

I also tried with two TIFs that I modified using MartinBs excellent guide on sharpening stars up but still the same problem with it only attempting to stack with one.

Regards

Keithp

Are you using 2x drizzle, that chews memory so turn off.

Try the subs only, settings say - Light,median or kappa sigma, per channel backgound calibration and under options select none, when finished the run, play with colour sliders to get a brightish image and with the luminosity try and get a pic that has a reasonably dark background but clearly show the object/stars save, play some more save again.

Then process the saved tiffs with paintshop/photoshop.

I had that problem a while ago. I found that the tick box Save Output under Stacking Parameters was unticked. When it was ticked, it then worked no problem. Which begs the question, Why does it have a tick box that disables the process?

Dave

Archived