NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SKYWATCHER 8" SCT ???

Both Skywatcher and Celestron are owned and manufactured by Synta, so you could argue that they have been making SCT's for quite a while. In the US they are badged both as Skywatcher and Celestron, over here the SCTs are available only as Celestron.

Rumour has it that when Synta acquired Celestron the Americans were not happy, they were convinced that the Chinese would not be able to make high-quality SCT telescopes. So, Synta made the 6" SCT that is currently used with the Celestron 6SE and Nexstar C6S GT. Needless to say the telescope was very good indeed and a huge success, particularly as the 6SE. Synta then moved the manufacture of the other models in-house and Celestron have gone from strength to strength.

Actually, if anyone knows different or can add to the story I'll be grateful :)

HTH

Steve, I think the 14" SCT's are still made in the States. All the others are made in China. Not 100% on it though, only what I've read..

The ad Lee linked to AB&S also has the Explore Scientific comet hunters which these interesting looking babies: Explore Scientific Store - 152mm f/4.8 Comet Hunter? OTA with Deluxe Case & Accessories . Faster than the MN190 with a carbon fibre tube and a dual speed crayford? Nice :).....

Tony..

Archived