Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Questions re. Skyscan GoTo

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have just bought a Skywatcher Skyscan Alt-Azimuth GoTO - to retro-fit to my MAK127. Sadly, it only had one brief "test" before the rain set in - And before I had read the manual properly. <G> But, while I wait patiently(!), a few things have occurred to me re. the "Skywatcher English" (Heck, my Mandarin ain't too hot either)! :)

First off: Altitude positioning. I discovered quite quickly that the scale label reading and the LCD display were (slightly, and as customarily!) a bit different. After a time, while <cough> "leaning" on the scope, I discovered the axis could be moved manually. Thankfully, no sound of cogs stripping, so I assume this is an inevitable "feature"? This based on the idea that one has to move to the first alignment star manually! Aside: Could I than also put the "knob" that locks the dovetail bar at the top? Such would seem more logical to me, anyway? :)

Second: This concept of "parking". Not terribly important - until I get a semi-permanent location for the particular setup, I suspect. But my interpretation is that, when you "park" the scope, the idea is that you have the scope pointing horizontal and NORTHwards by dint of intial location of the mount head within the tripod housing. And there may be a good reason for this feature... :rolleyes:

Finally, loading capacity. I sense the mount might be near to it's limit with a MAK127. Doubtless exacerbated by my addition of a Baader 2" diagonal, Hyperion eyepieces, Skysurfer V finder and (unavoidable) use of Tube rings. I have taken pains to "balance" the thing, it seems quite STRONG. As yet no problems (IIRC the combo weighs about 11lb). But sas anyone come close to (accidentally) "destruction testing" this mount? :)

Definitive answers and/or idle speculation welcome!

wen using power u shoudn't physical move scope in any direction use ure handset to slew

positioning roughly N and making sure alt slider is at 0 degrees does seem to improve accuracy a bit

as far as im aware my 127mm Sw Mak OTA weighs 3.4kg

the AZ GO TO Mount will support weight of anything up to 5kg

(will also support up to 150mm aperture dep on weight above)

hope this helps

James

hope this helps

James

Indeed Yes. Thank you James.

Anyway, "experiments continue". <G> But I do get the impression that my modified MAK - at 10lb(?) is CLOSE to the limit. But the drives seem to cope WELL - The (Steel version) tripod is becoming a bit wobbly, perhaps? :)

I sense the setup is almost worthy of a pier (observatory) in itself. :)

Archived