Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alexander Observatory

starpusher

Does anyone have an Alexander Observatory and if so I was wondering what they are like?

I have moved away from the dome idea in favour of a roll off roof.

So should I buy an Alexander or buy a big shed and convert it?

I don’t want to be in my nineties by the time I finish a diy build from scratch because I am not a fast diyer (At my speed I will probably die before I finish).

I am favouring the shed conversion but if the cost is not too much more and the quality of an Alexander is good then maybe go for that for ease and speed. It will have a 16 x 8 ft base.

I would appreciate your views.

Thanks,

Richard

:)

• 1 month later...

Hang fire...there may be another option, especially in the West Country...

WIll keep you posted, but a company is about to prototype a run off roof shed setup for me, 8ft x 6ft and relatively cheap, plus another mate can do pier/concrete installation.

Thanks,

Similar to what I would expect to spend. But I am thinking of going for a dome (complete) for speed...and then there is the pier on top of that of course. I sort of favour the dome benefits over the roll off roof but it will cost me.

Alan Longstaff had an Alaxander at his place in Italy and rated it highly.

(BTW I also think that the need for heroic multi-ton piers is seriously exaggerated. I don't know what you have in mind.)

Not sure about domes, either. Why have them domed? In the case of small structures it just clobbers your headroom. Personally I'd rather have something cylindrical or octagonal with a sloping roof. I keep meaning to make one but I have made three roll-offs and they are nice to use, cheap and easy, so it is still on that long liist of good intentions...

Olly

Olly,

I used live in Derbyshire...long time ago. Don't domes help with local light pollution / keep the breeze away from the scope? I don't know about the pier yet. I think I want something solid but isolated for photos. I am pricing up a steel welded tube construction with a couple of local fabrication firms. I reckon I want a remote connection to the house and laptop or at least to a nearby shed warm room and laptop. But I don't know about the connection set up.... is it long cables or some clever wireless connection?

I've sort of taken a fancy to the dome idea but I can imagine what you mean about the head room. But domes are used so is it down to want you want to do ...observing or astrophotos, preferences and budget restraints?

Regards,

Richard

Archived