Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting the hang of it - at last

Dante

23 & 24th 11:00 till 2:00) the skies were clear (the seeing was quite good too)

I set up my kit as I always do. This time though with more success. With Stellarium running on my laptop I tested my GOTO and it was pretty near. Near enough not to be bothered changing anything.

My best views are NW NE SW (still pleny to go at). Using Stellarium on screen I checked that against the actual sky. It was quite instructive. Then I noticed this incredibly bright object (S) appearing over my conservatory roof. God it was bright.

My kit is on the lawn, 4 steps down and off to one side,must see that bright object with the scope. So I moved it all, alignment what alignment:rolleyes: I just moved the whole shebang (very carefully) got it in a reasonable spot, precarious but reasonable and using the controls moved the scope.

I was looking at Jupiter :) for the very first time. I tried all sorts of EPs but the higher mags did nothing good. So I came down to 20mm and just kept that thing in the FOV. A disk orangy bands and some creamy looking bands and joy! I could see the moons.

Really enjoyed the view I wish my webcam was set up to record the event but the number of cables to negotiate during the move was quite enough. It was a joy to see and now I have my first solar object (apart the Moon, bless her)

Question - probably not the right place.

Most of what I am currently looking at seems to be near the zenith and my mounts legs are not six feet long. How do you all manage to use your scopes in this situation? I have to get on my knees, bend my back, and crane my neck not only to use the scope complete with diagonal but also the red dot finder. Geez, I'm not made of rubber:confused:

Regards

Danny

Hi Danny :) thanks for your report and congratulations on seeing Jupiter for the first time!!! Awesome, isn't he? :D

In answer to your question.. i had a similar problem with the tripod which came with my (pre-owned) 120 achro, so i purchased a tall pier and haven't needed to sit on the ground since. :p

Hi Danny :) thanks for your report and congratulations on seeing Jupiter for the first time!!! Awesome, isn't he? :D

In answer to your question.. i had a similar problem with the tripod which came with my (pre-owned) 120 achro, so i purchased a tall pier and haven't needed to sit on the ground since. :p

Hi Talitha

Thanks for reply. Jupiter was awsome. It was such a lift to see such a sight. But what I missed was the fact Neptune was also in the same area according to CdC. I only saw this later when I was reconfiguring CdC later. Stellarium is graphically pretty but not a patch on CdC for information IMHO.

A tall pier? Would such a thing marry up with my SynScan Goto kit and where can I see a few to get an idea

Danny

Here's my Antares Pier. How would a pier cause problems with SynScan? I don't use go-to, but the RA tracking motor on my CG5 mount works well on either a tripod or a pier. :)

Hi Talitha

Sorry to sound thick but I have been looking at piers elsewhere. They seem to be for really expensive scopes or obs. The prices are outlandish (for us poor pensioners that is:()

Used the URL and had a look at Antares, looks fine but I couldn't get anywhere on the site to see anything else but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

Danny

Danny, click the 'dealer' tab and it'll generate a page with the US and Canadian dealers.. it'll give you an idea of the prices. I'm 5'4" and ordered a 5' pier so i'd be able to sit comfortably even when my scope is aimed up at the zenith.

I too managed to bag Jupiter for the first time the other night, went out at 2 am and could see the bright planet very clearly, still got my little skywatcher 130p (it`s for sale) and quickly set it up to have a look. when i looked though the eyepiece four bright moons sprang out at me, it was great ! the bands where just visable, it`s great when you look up and there`s nothing to see then when you look though the eyepiece WOW !

I too managed to bag Jupiter for the first time the other night, went out at 2 am and could see the bright planet very clearly, still got my little skywatcher 130p (it`s for sale) and quickly set it up to have a look. when i looked though the eyepiece four bright moons sprang out at me, it was great ! the bands where just visable, it`s great when you look up and there`s nothing to see then when you look though the eyepiece WOW !

Hi

Yes it's great and it's getting better everyday!

I'm very new and also very greedy. Started and wanted everything - right now. What a chump:p

SGL members have put me right and also Steve at FLO.

So it's back to the classroom and do my homework.

Bought Turn left at Orion, Phillips Planisphere and will probably get a suitable pair of Bins. Webcam and camera packed away and when and only when I think I have learned enough then they will be out again.

By then I may have upgraded to something more super:eek:

Regards

Danny

Archived