NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation Gotcha

I've never been very happy with the collimation of both my 16" Lightbridge and my 8" reflecter. For the Lightbridge I was wondering if it was some slightly less than ideal optical quality that comes with a big cheap mirror and for the 8" it just had me a little perplexed.

Well I figured out what the problem is! The little round sticker they (the telescope makers) put in the middle of primary mirrors are not actually put in the middle!:) so if you concentrate on lining up everything else except the little round sticker then the collimation should be pretty good.:D

I found on the 16" the sticker was quite a way off and on the 8" it was a bit closer but still not in the centre. It made a huge difference as now I can split the Double Double in Lyra with the 15mm eyepiece on the Lightbridge and with the 9mm eyepiece the gap is very pronounced - whereas the last time I checked it could only be split properly with the 5mm eyepiece.

So in summary do not trust that the little sticker is in the exact middle of the primary mirror.:p

Sam

Daz,

I think they look through one eye, angle their head to one side and say "yeah, that looks about right" and plonk the sticker on. Though I think with my Lightbridge they did the throw from a distance thing, a bit like the horseshoe game.:)

Sam

My mirror didn't have the dot on, I had to apply it myself but the mirror did have a small cross hair etched on the mirror as a guide but actually putting the little circle on was a bit scarry to say the least.

Archived