NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR F number question

Keithp

Hopefully, if they've got the weather right today I will be setting up tonight:hello2:

Noticed that with the standard kit lens attached I can set to manual and change the F number on the lens to whatever exposure I want.

When I go prime focus and the adapters are in use this F number is set at 0. I can understand that because the body doesn't have a lens to talk to.

Does that mean then that the chip is receiving maximum exposure?

Sounds obvious I know, but just wanted to check.

Regards

All

Keithp

Keith, Whilst with the camera at prime focus, the body can't determine what the focal ratio is, therefore can't display it, the focal ratio is still a key point however. It depends on the scope what the ratio is, but is that scope not an f5 ? (The f stop on the kit lens is calculated in the same way as a scope and operates in the same way, focal length/aperture). The main difference between a camera lens and a telescope, you can adjust the aperture blades in a lens to stop down the lens, reducing the aperture below maximum and a telescope is fixed (unless you want to stick bits over the objective of course :)).

Archived