Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope or binoculars?

I was considering a Goto telescope which is compatible with the StarVoyager iPhone app, like one of the Meade ones (though other compatible makes are listed also).

However, I'm guessing they take a while to setup each time I want to use it. How long do they typically/realistically take to setup per use?

Therefore my attention has shifted to a decent pair of binoculars. The Canon 15x50 with image stabilization looks ideal, though not cheap.

Can anyone who has used similar equipment tell me how they compare for astronomy purposes? As in, ease of use, time to setup, how much extra can be seen with a modest telescope compared with 15x binoculars (features of moon, planets, galaxies).

I may use the binoculars for other purposes like sightseeing, bird watching. So they may be the better value for money long term.

Finally, where is the best place to obtain the canon binoculars (or Meade telescope) second hand? I noticed I can't post in the "Wanted" subforum yet - it says I dont have permission. I'm keeping an eye on Ebay obviously, and searched for local newspaper classifieds but nothing turned up. I live in West Midlands, UK.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have a couple of Meade goto's, small ones, the set up time is 10-15 minutes. Most of that is getting the tripod and scope level. Then plugging all the power leads in. Too easy to get in a mess.

Once level and pointing north the alignment is pretty straight foreward, and assuming that the general field of view is good takes about 2-3 minutes after pressing the align option. Scope slews to the first star, you centre it then it moves to the second, which again you centre.

One thing I will say the field of view of the scope is important as if narrow (one of mine is) the alignment star(s) may not appear in the view so you are a bit stuck.

Binoculars are obviously easier to use however the magnification isn't as much, assuming that you want that.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more and more towards binoculars. This forum is an excellent resource. Now I just have several days/weeks of deliberation of which to get - I'm not the most decisive decision maker in the world :)

I really like the idea of image stabilization, so although costly I'll be keeping an eye out for second hand ones made by Canon (not sure if others do IS too). I had a regular pair of binoculars many years ago and I remember them being subject to the shakes which impeded the enjoyment. If I go for some beyond 7x50 or 8x50 it looks like a tripod or IS is a must. I like the idea of IS more I must admit.

Best thing I'd advise is to start off with some binoculars rather than jumping in the deep end with a scope, as if you decide this isn't the hobby for you, then you wouldn't have lost much

I'm new to this hobby and I started off with some 15x70s and I was really blown away by the sheer amount of faint stars you can see that otherwise appear invisible to the naked eye. They are slightly larger than the ones you are looking for, I don't have problems holding them but yeah for long observing sessions a tripod is useful but you'd get on fine without it (just tired arms :))

this is what I use : Celestron - Celestron Skymaster 15x70

• 2 weeks later...

If you're happy to start with binoculars, then I can definitely recommend it as the way to go!

- after all, you'll find binoculars an indispensible tool even if you buy a scope later.

For a first purchase that will also be useful later, it is best to buy a low magnification pair such as 7x or 8x

BEWARE: Many 7x binoculars have surprisingly small field-of-view (for some reason) 8x binoculars (and this is converse to what you might expect) often have the same or BIGGER field of view than the 7x models (weird) - so check the spec before purchase.

Best advice of all though - try lots of pairs IN PERSON before buying. Binos are the one thing I'd say is best not to get mail order, since they are such a personal thing, and issues such as the quality of lens coating can be evaluated. Don't trust printed specifications - look through binoculars yourself, feel their weight etc. and choose something that suits you. If the shop has any, try out a pair of £700+ binoculars as a "benchmark" as to what "top quality" really looks like, so you can judge cost vs. quality. Also remember that nighttime viewing will stress binoculars more than daytime since lens (and eye!) defects are more apparent with your pupils dilated.

I really like the idea of image stabilization

I simply lie back on a large comfy patio chair or sunlounger, with the tripod not touching the ground but resting across the chair and my legs whilst still attached to the binos. I move my view by waving the tripod around, carrying it by holding a leg in each hand.

This provides all the stabilization that I need :)

I'm surprised no-one else ever mentions this effective technique. Maybe I'm the only one who does it?

If I go for some beyond 7x50 or 8x50 it looks like a tripod or IS is a must.
Personally I think that's only true in daytime. What I mean is - in nighttime observation I think a tripod is needed all the time since it's only when you keep binos absolutely still, that the fainter stars start to show. If you're merely scanning the sky to get your bearings however, obviously that's a different matter.

Archived