Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new tripod for synscan

Hi there all at Stargazers. I've just joined the site after reading bits and pieces on the net about you. I am a complete novice to these forum things, as will be amply demonstrated shortly! I don't know where to post this question, so I'll start a new thread. Sorry in advance, if the question has been asked before. I am also very new to astronomy, so don't get too technical please!

Here goes: I have just bought a Skywatcher Synscan 127. I am pleased with it as a first scope, but with one issue; The tripod does not seem to be upto the job and I was wondering if an aftermarket tripod of more substantial quality is available, either here in England, or elsewhere. I can forsee a possible problem with the Synscan mount system though. As you will be aware, the Synscan system sits in a cone shaped reciever on the original tripod and is retained with a single 5 or 6mm bolt. Any after-market tripod will surely have to have a simmilar system.

I have my own small company making architectural steelwork, so making a pier type stand, simmilar in design to a Monolith or Advanced Telescope Systems unit is no problem. But I thought I,d see if there was a better tripod on the market, before I went down the route of making my own.

Wishing you all the best,

english morgan

hey there check out my thread from other day got few tips on that

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/83718-anyone-know-any-mods-tripod.html

found mine to be ok but am using it without extended legs at lowest hight possible

going to try adding weight using power tank poss as advised with bungy

and poss some small wrist armband weights so i can use it bit higher and hopefully make it more secure for windier nights

what height have u been using it at?

regards James

Try Berlebach, they have mounting plates for loads of different types of scope, and loads of different capacity / stability, being wood they'll all be superior to the lightweight Chinese metal one. The prices are steep but you get what you pay for.

Archived