Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It ain't broke... but... Bored...

Psychobilly

Boredom is setting in so i am tempted to play with something new....

I haven't used the CPC tethered to a PC since the first few weeks I have had it but time for a change...

I want to have a crack at capturing thew ISS and Shuttle and other satellites using the DMK21AU04AS on the 8"...

So I signed up to the Yahoo group to get the Satellite Tracker software... spent an hour ringing through a mound of cables with a meter until i found the proper Celestron Serial-Handbox cable (really should label them up as i get them)...

Found my other USB-RS232 adaptor... Trawled the net for drivers for it...

Downloaded all the ascom software.. platform , drivers and plug-ins etc....

Not sure if the Lappy is up to running the Sky6 for scope control with PHDGuiding... And dual DSLR Camera control all going on at the same time..

But I dint know if i want to risk mucking it all up...

Hmmm.....

Peter...

Got all the software side of things setup on the obs lappy...

Latest Ascom Platform and Celestron Drivers, The Telescope API interface for TheSky6... USB-RS232 Drivers... And Satellite Tracker V2.4.9... Downloaded the latest TLE's and the Satellite tracker predicitions and Hevens above agree to within a few secs...

Just got to wait for the weather now to open up the obs again and make the connections to the mount....

So check back in a few months :)

Peter...

I joined the group - some amazing results appearing on there!

However, discovered that my Meade modified EQ4 Goto mount will track it better in the handbox - allegedly! The Satellite Tracker SW is good for predicting though! But on the #497 it only supports leapfrog mode :)

Might try the EQ6 at some point.... Will have to wait n see :)

It's stopped raining so I opened the doors on the obs took the lappy out there and connected it all up....

Got the USB-RS232 adaptor and the joypad plugged in to the Pier Hub... connected up to the Handbox and all up and running ...

So I can...

Use NexRemote to have a virtual handbox on the PC screen...

Use the Joypad for scope control...

Control the Scope from TheSky6 Through Ascom Telescope API...once i set the slew limits on the mount up properly that is...

Control the Scope from Satellite Tracker in Continous tracking mode with GPS sync etc...

I think i'll try using the DMK on the Megrez 72 first time I try Tracking the ISS before moving on to the 8" first at f3.3 then f6.3 before f10....

Probably end up back in tourist mode again now though... :)

Although mosaics will be a lot easier as they will be under the control of the PC through TheSKy6 software...

When the clouds finally part that is :)

Peter...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived