NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Albireo and Jupiter!

Castor

Last night my sky was completely cloud-free, good seeing too, so I decided to take down my telescope. My main targets would be M81 & M82, Albireo, and maybe M57.

I found a pretty dark spot, though with a little bit of light pollution caused by the street lamps, but I guess it was ok. :)

Started out by locating Vega, Deneb and Altair, the Summer-triangle. In the middle of the Triangle lies Albireo, but there didn't seem to be any bright star "inside" the Triangle.

Looked like this: O <--- Deneb O <---- Vega

-------------------------O <---- Albireo (or Altair?)

I thought that it was Altair in the bottom, and so I kept searching for a relatively bright star in the middle, but nothing was to be seen.

I then thought to myself... what if Altair is blocked by the neighbours house, and that the star I mistaken for Altair actually is Albireo? My telescope was set up, ready to use, 25mm EP 'n all :).

I located this star in my red-dot finder, looked in my eyepiece, and there it was! Certainly! I saw Albireo! A little blu-ish star at the bottom right, and a bigger and more yellow-ish at the bottom left. How beautiful! I switched to the 10mm eyepiece, also popped in a Barlow x2. My magnification would then be around 150x. Things just got more beautiful. A big, yellow star and a bottom blue, surrounded by a completely black background.

After this amazing sight, I got greedy and wanted to see some more. I located Ursa Minor, found Dubhe to be in the middle of my finder, and began to browse the area. I wasn't quite sure where to look, but no galaxies were to make their appearence that night, unfortunately.

I was tired and about to go home, when some very bright and firm light hit my eyes, close to the horizon: Jupiter! (I've seen this fellow before :)). Popped the 25mm eyepiece, locating with the finder, I quickly found myself starring at the beautiful giant, surrounded by 3 moons, Io being behind the planet itself. Amazing sight, but way too bright, so I took out one dust cap from the big cap-thing (the one you put over the lens) and then put the big cap on (with the dust-cap removed) to get much less light in. This gave me a very pleasent and relaxing view, though the moons were hard to spot ;).

I switched to a Barlow and the 10mm eyepiece, and WOW! I could clearly see about three brown cloud-bands, the sky was completely steady. What a moment. I was awe stuck.

I took away the eyepieces, put on the lens cap and took the telescope on my shoulder, on my way home - thinking it's been a damn good session. :headbang:

Thank you for reading.

Nice, simple report. I liked it. Also, the image of you hunting for prey (so to speak) and then dropping the 'scope on your shoulder and wandering off into the night conjours up a nice spirit of discovery ! - Well done on tracking down Albireo, such a beautiful double don't you think ?

Lovely report and your enthusiasm is fantastic.

M81 & M82 are not that easy to find. There's not that many bright stars to star hop with. But once found they are easy to locate again.

Thanks Doc! Glad you liked it!

Yeah, starhopping in that area is pretty difficult, but I guess as you say, they'll be easy to find once located. Same with M31 :)

I remember stumbling by that double look a like in Lyra myself a couple summers ago. Glad you pointed it out.. will get another look at that one when clouds go on holiday lol.

Archived