Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

where for art thou... Mars

Milliways

Yeah it's up there in the morning, but is still very small. It will almost triple in apparent size in the winter - around Feb. It will then be just a bit smaller than Saturn appears now.

I've never seen it, so am pretty excited about its nearing.

Nick

Just in case anyone was still in any doubt about this, all those E-mails you may have received, telling you about Mars "as big as the Moon" this year - they're a hoax. :) But Mars should still be good for viewing when it comes around, in a 'scope with sufficient magnification, and given good seeing (this is important).

Good luck!

I think Mars is around in the early morning (just before sunrise) in the East... not entirely sure though not had the chance to track him down yet. :)

It is indeed - lovely pairing with Venus (and the Pleiades) at the moment too. One very slight advantage of my 2-year-old waking up at 4:30am yesterday :)

Archived