Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

mount advice wanted

vinny

this may seem like a stupid question but here goes

i have a motorised (ra) EQ1 mount and i am thinking of fitting a 200mm newt tube to it my question is will it take the weight or am i going to wake up one morning to find it in a nice tidy heap on the floor???

A 200mm Newt is a fair chunk of metal - especially with a finder and a 2" EP on it.

I have an HEQ5 and even that means the scope has a bit of wobble in it - albeit a small amount.

To give you an idea to balance my 200 newt on an HEQ5 I have three 5.1 kg counterweights - thats a lot of weight.

An EQ1 will fold. The smallest you could probably get away with would be an EQ3-2 but you'd be way better off getting an EQ5 - they come up quite regularly second hand I suspect even an EQ3-2 would be very wobbly and the mount needs to be as solid as you can get.

Vinny

That's good advice from A-B. I wouldn't consider anything less than an EQ5 size mount. I'm guessing that the OTA with finderscope etc would weigh around 10Kg. You will therefore need something robust and stable for an 8" Newt, especially when you think about its length and the moments it will generate

Weight loading max for an EQ1 is 7lbs

For an EQ5 20lbs

For an HEQ5 30lbs

Weight for a Sky-Watcher 200 in standard form is 15lbs according to some stats I just looked at.

Bearing in mind a mount should ideally be able to cope with twice the weight of the actual scope that means an EQ1 would be overstressed by a factor of x4.

eeek :)

Archived