NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher v tal

I am not sure what to buy a skywatcher180 maksutov or a tal200k.the extra aperture would be useful but is the quality equal .I can star off with an unmotorised eq5 so the tal would actualy be cheaper to start with.Any help would be appreciatedn Thanks

Hello "flyingspud!"

Is this your very first scope puchase?

If it is, you may be better going for a Skywatcher 200mm Newtonian on an HEQ5 driven mount.

If you ae going to go for a big scope like the ones you mention, you will need a good sturdy mount to support the scope - and preferably a "driven" mount, to get the best out of such a quality scope!

I'm sure you will receive much more "informed" help soon - especially from those SGL members who have owned the scopes you mention.

Best wishes,

philsail1

if you want something big and don't mind hualing big equipment around, then heres another vote for the SW200P with an HEQ5 mount.

It will not be portable, but it will give you a chance to add other equipment to your configuration & will give you a nice rich view of DSO's.

thanks deneb.sorry i hadnt replied earlier but someone seems to have made stargazerslounge rather fiddly .I get fed up with it and use popastro! steve at firstlight has the skywatcher 180mak ,thats quite a good reccomendation. flyingspud:rolleyes:

I don't know anything about the 180 mak but the Tal 200K and Skywatcher 200P are both great scopes, I have both and love them to bits (although not the lugging around part of it).

As Philsail1 has said, whichever one you get just enjoy it.

Kathleen

Personally, I'd go with the recommendations here - big newtonian on a driven mount. The very long focal length (i.e. relatively small field of view for which ever lens you put in it) of the Skywatcher 180 will make it quite difficult to use on an undriven mount. You will probably spend most of your time trying to find objects rather than observing...

If you are more strapped for cash, go for a SkyWatcher dobsonian. The shorter focal length will give you much more time to see things once you are on the object whilst the mount is designed for nudging around as the object moves in your field of view...

I have a Klev 200K and love it. I have used it on a W.O. EzTouch Alt-Az Mount to great effect.

Things I like about the 200K are, F10 rather than slower F12/F15 of some similar sized Maks, brilliant 8x50 finder, no meniscus to dew up, open tube so it cools down quickly, adjustable 1.25" focusser, good included eyepieces, weapons grade birchwood crate(still included?).

As per image quality through the eyepiece, very very nice indeed. Flat field with pinpoint stars.

Downsides......

A bit pricey these days at close to a grand imho. 2nd hand are below half that. Could do with a carry handle. I added one. Makes a big difference. With a 32mm televue plossl or similar, widest field of view is approx 0.85 degrees. Doesn't bother me. I have a sunlounger chair thingy and a pair of 20x80 bincs for my wide field pleasure.

Cheers,

Andy.

Forgot to mention,

the Klev has a fixed mirror, so no horrible mirror flop(this anoys me greatly) and so holds it's collimation with ease. My model is old and is still 'bang on' despite many long distance trips and 'drops' !! The only downside to this is a small focus range, so stuggles with binoviewers and other accessories.

Andy.

Forgot to mention,

the Klev has a fixed mirror, so no horrible mirror flop(this anoys me greatly) and so holds it's collimation with ease. My model is old and is still 'bang on' despite many long distance trips and 'drops' !! The only downside to this is a small focus range, so stuggles with binoviewers and other accessories.

Andy.

thanks andy.you are the first tal owner ive heard from.glad bout that as i d rather have the tal,bit worried about qulity control but it will come from 1st light or rother valley anyway.very useful about mount too.i believe focus range has been improved recently.thanks.jonathon.:)

Archived