NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR's and Dew

heres and interesting one

how does one deal with dew on a camera, indeed ensuring it does not destroy the camera once the observing session is over?

My manual suggests a large plastic bag to put it in for the condensation to evaporate into.

but its an interesting one, does dew build up effect the chip?

does the heat of the camera keep this off?

Thanks in advance

I've only ever noticed dew build up on the flash and occasionally some misting on the LCD. When I'm done I put the camera in the garage, as it's much closer to ambient but it's dry. Then after about an hour, I move it back to it's bag, which is full of silica gell bags.

My manual suggests a large plastic bag to put it in for the condensation to evaporate into.

Wrong! If the kit is cold but dry, put it in a plastic bag before moving it into a warm environment so it doesn't get condensation all over it. If it's already damp, suggest warming gently with a 12V hot air blower until superficially dry, then into the plastic bag (with a couple of fresh, or at least freshly regenerated, silica gel sachets) before bringing inside.

When in use, the power consumption of the camera will warm it, almost certainly enough to prevent dew build up internally. You definitely don't want dew on the imaging chip as it will be a b*gg*r to clean if it gets stained.

Never had dewing problems outside even when the scopes been dripping or frozen the camera is always good.

Its only the initial few minutes after bringing it indoors when (sometimes) it gets a bit of dew formation on the LCD so all I do is leave it open in doors to evaporate off. Never had any problems with any DSLRS using that method.

Philj

Archived