NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting a Heq5 to laptop help please

I think i have all the bits:icon_scratch: mount,laptop,latest upgrade for the handset,stellarium+stellariumscope,ascom drivers.The leads (not sure of the technical terms) the one that came with the handset and one i purchased from Astronomiser,the one that you use to upgrade the handset.

All i need now is an idiots guide to connect it all together:confused:,hoping to do this through PC direct mode.

Any advice comments always welcome

Thanks in advance

Andy

I have an HEQ5pro mount, but I don't use ASCOM. I just use the "upgrade" cable from the handlepaddle to the computer ( I also need a serial to USB adaptor as the laptop doesn't have a serial port - KEYSPAN adaptor is highly recommended!)

This allows me to control the telescope in GOTO using Carte du Ceil, or TheSky, AstroPlanner etc etc.

As simple as that. (For the HEQ5 mount use the Celestron 5 settings in the software)

These notes might help. They are for my EQ6 connection, but should be similar for HEQ6.

Scope Setup

Power up scope/mount and align goto system

Connect PC cable to Hand Controller or mount socket

Do not plug into PC at this time.

Serial Port setup

If your laptop has a native serial port start at line 2

Plug in USB-Serial adapter to Laptop, check adapter recognised, and drivers loaded.

Goto Start/Computer, right-click 'manage'

In computer management window click device manager

Click 'Ports (COM & LPT)' and right-click 'properties' of serial adapter

Under 'Port Settings' check the values are: 9600/8/None/1/None

Under 'Port Settings/Advanced', note the COM port used, eg COM3

(There is some evidence that some Software like a COM port number of 4 or less. If

you have trouble try selecting COM4 or lower)

Exit from Device Management

Connect PC to scope/mount cable

Download and install the ASCOM platform and drivers for your system.

(ASCOM 5a, Celestron 5.0.14)

Download and install StellariumScope

Click on the scope driver box and select your scope/mount

Click properties and add further info require. Check COM port is the same as noted

above.

Click the 'connect' box

Check connect status at bottom of window.

Run Stellarium

There are two circles, one showing scope position and one the selected object.

Ctl+1 will slew the scope to the selected star

Check help file for exact control commands

I have the USB adapter and had them all plugged in last night even stellarium said it was connected, but not with the Celestron 5 settings,but no movement.Is there a certain port(without getting too technical) i have to use? Will try again tonight.

Thanks

Andy

If you use a different usb port the system will attach a different COM port number to the adapter. You can find out which from the Computer/manage/device manager, and then change the COM port number in the 'select scope' properties to connect. If you use the same usb port this procedure is avoided.

Success sort of got the mount working through the lappy but not through stellarium.

Got both the scope circle and the selected object circle but pressing CTL+1 won't slew the scope, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Success sort of got the mount working through the lappy but not through stellarium.

Got both the scope circle and the selected object circle but pressing CTL+1 won't slew the scope, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy

When you select the Celestron scope driver there is a tickbox option to show an onscreen hand controller. This appears as a small window with a few buttons on it to slew the scope left, right, up, down. You could try this independently from Stellarium to check connection to the scope. This works if you are controlling a Celestron scope, eg 8se, through the hand controller.

To drive my EQ6 I originally loaded EQMOD and connected via that direct to the hand controller. Once I had this working I went to SScope and found a EQMOD Ascom EQ5/6 driver in the scope selection list (not sure if this loaded when I installed EQMOD or whether I got it from the ASCOM site). With this selected as the 'scope' I was then able to control the EQ6 through Stellarium.

Cartes du ciel won't even let me configue without a runtime error then shuts down??

BlueAstra i have the little side window and that lets me control the mount with it but not on stellarium.It's obvious iam missing something,probably a little more grey matter!!

Do i need to use PC direct mode on the handset?

Thanks again

Andy

Sorry for being late to answer bit busy at work,0.10.0 doesn't have telescope drives just downloaded 0.10.2 which has the drivers but can't try till tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up Nigelm

Andy

sorted all connected + controlled from the lappy

Very happy just need time and the weather to try it

Thank you for the advice this is certainly 'one small step'.... for me anyway

Andy

Archived