Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bodes M81 / 82 : At last got my setup working

Catanonia

YES : At last got all my guiding problems sorted out with the swap out of the PL130m OpticStar (pile of p**) for a QHY5 :)

Also 1st set of shots with my new roll off roof observatory and modded 350D dslr :)

So here is the 1st rough cut of the floor using test 5 x 2 min subs at ISO 800 900m F7.x

Still got to practice processing, but quite pleased that everything is working nice.

Also managed to get good 5 - 10min subs of the Owl Nebula, but having problems processing these ones.

grrrr, having problems posting the image from work......

Lets try a very low quality one.

post-16631-133877384963_thumb.jpg

Well done Cat, its great when it all comes together.

Although in your excitement I think you forgot to post the picture :)

jhaving probs getting file out from work. Had to put on a very low quality version :) Will update later

That is brilliant Cat! Beautiful. Dust lanes showing through in M81 and lovely colour in M82. Feel like I could just fall into M81. Great work :) bet you're well pleased.

thanxs hun. To be honest I am amazed I have managed it. I have had a load of help along the way, namely Steve1245342513 (or whatever his tag is :))

A lot of processing time, just need to refine my skills. These were quick tests to make sure kit was working.

How are you doing with your imaging venture ?

For tests they are pretty good!! Can't wait to see some more :) Just seen your M31 on your website, was going to suggest it as a next target though it looks as if it's a bit low for you atm ;) maybe Autumn time give it plenty of subs? Bet you could get fantastic detail out of it :)

My imaging venture is coming along... slowly. Not had much chance to have a go at any afocal stuff recently - clouds/busy/tired - but Wednesday night this week is looking promising, I'll take whatever I can get! I want to try for a near-full Moon, try and preserve the depth and detail and not to over expose. Just taking it slow atm. I've been inspired by philsail1 (think that's his username?) afocal shots of Jupiter - think I might give him a go soon :headbang: Hoping to get a DSLR or some kind of decent digicam for christmas so watch out January lol :)

Good job Cat.

If you want some constructive criticism:

1) You have clipped the black point, losing some of the fainter detail.

2) looks like you may have over sharpened the stars, using masks will enable you to sharpen the galaxies, whilst not sharpening the star field.

Here is a set of tutorials that I wished I knew about when first starting out:

IP4AP - Your online source for Visual Learning

They are not free....but are well worth the money :)

I'm not imager Cat so sorry if this is silly coming from me but I actually prefer the 2nd image in this thread, rather than the more recent process. The more recent process seems to have lost the lovely dust lanes that were obvious in the image at first, which is a shame... although saying that M82 looks better for the more processing.

You gonna add more to it?

I'm not imager Cat so sorry if this is silly coming from me but I actually prefer the 2nd image in this thread, rather than the more recent process. The more recent process seems to have lost the lovely dust lanes that were obvious in the image at first, which is a shame... although saying that M82 looks better for the more processing.

You gonna add more to it?

Yeah, bit of a difference, used different techniques to get the image processed and din't hit the sharpener so much that caused the inital problems.

Plan is next clear night to add a couple of hours worth of data to it and see what I get :)

Thanks Amanda,

Such a steep learning curve. Already planning my next upgrades

1. F stop reducer and field flattener

2. Side by side scope mount. Might make this myself :)

Looking forward to your results Cat :) you're coming on leaps and bounds

Archived