Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help wanted for Canon EOS 500D

After a bit of advice/pointers regarding a Canon EOS 500D, in the post as we speak, nice little donation to the imaging fund from the

Wifey:headbang:.

Does anyone have one of these beasties? I need to know what size thread is on the standard kit lens so I can order the correct thread T adapter. Is it a standard across the Canon lens range? Can anyone confirm if it's one of these, the first option in the list

Adaptors - T Rings.

I already have various adapters that I use with Fuji S5700 for afocal imaging and now I am upping the stakes a little. Reading quite a few threads I can appreciate I may have problems getting it to focus for prime focal shots, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it,

the other adapter I was thinking of was this,Adaptors - Max DSLR Camera Adaptor maybe combining it with a 2" barlow. Does this connect direct to the camera body, replacing the lense?

Any further advice always appreciated.

Regards

All

Keithp

Many thanks for the reply Peter, that adapter I assume is for prime focus imaging, what about if I also want to do afocal imaging...does anyone know what the thread size is on the standard 18mm/55mm kit lens that comes with the camera, thinking along the lines of a T adapter similar to the one I have for the Fuji S5700.

Regards

All

Keithp

I was going to edit my previous but I don't appear to be able to. I was going to add I think it's the same kit lense that comes with other Canon models EOS 450 etc.

Regards

Keithp

Never really thought of Afocal with a DSLR to be honest... there are soem nice Eyepiece Projection adaptors available and somme EP's can be adapted to take a T-mount... I have a Cheap zoom that when you remove the Rubber Eyecup yo get a T-Thread...

I personally wouldnt fancy hanging a DSLR off the filter thread on the end of a lens :)

Peter...

Cheers Peter, as you can probably gather I'm totally new to DSLR so I will be learning as I go along, do you think the sort of thing I'm thinking of, similar to a stepper type ring is unfeasable then? Not had any problems with the Fuji, but I suppose it's a lot lighter in comparison.

Regards

Keithp

Congrats on the camera. If the 450d is anything to go by, it's gonna be a cracked of a camera. The kit lens has filter threads of 58mm. I'm with Peter, the filter threads won't take that weight, I did read someone recommending a camera mount to take the weight though, so it might work. The drawback I think you're going to encounter most is the size of the objective of the kit lens compared to the exit pupil of the ep, this will cause some serious vignetting. I tried it once with my Z2 and it was so bad I gave up, and the Z2 objective is about half that of the kit lens.. Take a look at the Baader Hyperions and the adatper for EP projection though. T thread to ep... works a treat.

Cheers John, that was one of the many things I was looking at, just gotta be patient and wait until tomorrow now:).

With those Hyperion eps I take it they have T thread on the ep so that would connect to the T adapter that fits to the camera body? Am I understanding that correctly?

Regards

Keithp

Many thanks to your previous answers Peter, I can see what you mean now. The extra weight of the body plus the lense is probably twice my previous kit. (Glad I didn't get rid of those extra scope weights I had) This is going to take some serious counter balancing when I get anywhere near the scope.

Looks like I'll be sending off for a 2" barlow, Hyperion eyepeice and adapter (thought I'd go for the 17mm as a nice medium - any comments anybody) and see how I go from there.

Start all over again and go back and re-do all my previous stuff for a comparison.

Heh heh, can't wait for some clear skys.

Regards

All

Keithp

Archived