NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Side by side mounting and new guide rings*new bars added*

MikeD

Hi All.

I have been making stuff in the hope I can get rid of the differential flecture in my setup.

I got a M3 280mm basic mounting plate from Alan (Moocher) the other week so it was time to get my 80Ed off the back of the newt and find a cheap way to mount it to the side of the newt and stiffen up the whole rig at the same time.

I managed to get hold of some 50mm Aluminium Box Section (6mm wall)

so I used that to make a mounting bar for the 250px.

I then used two standard skywatcher mounting bars back to back to make a stiffer mounting bar for the 80ED.

It all seems very sturdy but have also managed to get some 38mm square bar (getting it on monday) so I think I will knock up two mounting bars out of that as well and see which works best and which weighs the least.:)

The good news is the extra weight of the new stiffer mounting ( Box Section and 3m mounting plate) has been offset by bringing the 80ed closer to the mount head, in fact the amount and position of the counter weights are the same.:)

While I was making stuff I also with the help of a friend and the lathe in his garage made a thicker set of guide rings out of the flag pole I acquired from a scrap yard a while back.

The wall thickness of the flagpole was only 3.5mm so I cut off six rings and used three for each guide ring by cutting two and fitting them very tightly inside the third to make a composite ring which after tidying in the lathe had a wall thickness of 9mm( you can see the individual rings that make up the guide ring in the closeup shot of the guide rings).

The old set of rings were made the same way but were only two flagpole rings thick.

So I now have a very stable side mounted setup for the total cost of £40 ( the cost of the m3 mounting plate) just need to test it out and see if it has the desired affect.

Mike.

post-13376-133877384713_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877384719_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877384725_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877384731_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877384737_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I got hold of the 38mm square bar on monday and have now had made (by a friend of a friend) two new and much stronger and cleaner mounting bars.

The bar for the newt is 38mm x 30mm x 335mm and the bar for the 80Ed is the same but with a 5mm x 28mm u channel cut out to hold the guide rings and stop any twist or roll at the mounting point.

The guide rings and newt rings are also joined together with a 6m bolt to add to the stiffness, you can see the join in the first pic.

With the new bars I am now able to move the 4th counter weight further up the counter balance bar than it was with just the skywatcher bars and 80ed piggybacked on the newt.:)

Next job is to make a spine ( see attached drawing) two attach to the newt focuser mounting and then lock that to the HX916 camera mount when focus is reached to stop any flecture from the camera/ drawtube.

Still a total cost of £40 for the new mounting system.:D

Mike.

post-13376-133877386586_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877386592_thumb.jpg

post-13376-133877386598_thumb.jpg

Mike, have you got clearance to move the refractor *underneath* the top bar? Looks to me like it would be simple enough to move as your wing nuts imply straight through holes in the main bar... would mean even less strain on the mount and you'd again be able to move the counterweight bar in a bit - or even take some weight off?

Arthur

Hi Arthur.

Do you mean turn the 80Ed so the rings are underneath the top bar? if so then no I don't have enough space as the scope would hit the polerscope end of the mount, I thnnk.

To mount the bar underneath the top bar with the rings still pointing the same way as the newt rings might just go, but it would be tight and I would lose some available adjustment between the guide rings and 80Ed.

I do have the ability to mount the 80Ed bar on it's side( holes already drilled) moving the 80Ed closer to the mount head, I may be able to mount it underneath that way but as is now I am able to lock the newt rings and guide rings together.

Thanks for the thoughts, I might have a play later.:)

Mike.

post-13376-133877386616_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike..

Nice to see you have been keeping yourself busy! That's certainly saved you a few quid going the DIY route. I was looking at side by side mounting with plates etc and a replacement puck for the EQ6 but couldn't afford the kit at the time...keeps us updated if this solves your problem...

See you in September for the next SS meeting...

Steve

Hi Mike..

Nice to see you have been keeping yourself busy! That's certainly saved you a few quid going the DIY route. I was looking at side by side mounting with plates etc and a replacement puck for the EQ6 but couldn't afford the kit at the time...keeps us updated if this solves your problem...

See you in September for the next SS meeting...

Steve

Ahem... have you seen the "Dovetail" thread in the retailers section?

Arthur - pushing the rules maybe, please delete if I am!

Archived