Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Longitude and Latitude help

Im trying to find my long and lat for the site i use out in the countryside. ive cam across this:

Latitude = 52.7330, Longitude = -2.7136

Lat = 52 degrees, 44.0 minutes North

Long = 2 degrees, 42.8 minutes West

For the goto mount you have to impout it as the last two lines but how do you convert the top line into that format?

Streetmap does it. When you get your map up, at the bottom of it there's a link that says 'click here to convert coordinates' use that and it'll give you the necessary details.

Tony..

:) Hi,

Not sure if I have understood the question correctly - but surely you multiply whatever comes after the decimal point by 60 to get the minutes?

For example: 0.7330x60=43.98 which would round to 44 minutes.

Sorry if that's not the question though - I don't understand English very well - but love Maths! :) And looking at those figures it seems to work?

Liz

60 arc-minutes in a degree, so just times the bit after the decimal point by 60:

.733*60=43.98 (rounded up to 44 in your example)

If you needed the extra accuracy of also entering the arc-seconds (60 of them in a minute of course) you'd do the same thing again using your previous answer:

.98*60=58.8

So the lat above would be:

52 deg 43' 58.8"

Hope that helps,

Nick

Aargh beaten to it!

Archived