NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first attempt at widefield

This was my first attempt at shooting the moon last night

lots of clouds but still quite blue skies concidering it was 11pm

taken with a sony a200 dslr 70mm lens 6 seconds at f5.6

i know it will need tweaking and i am ready for to be shot down in flames but i am quite happy with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

post-16499-133877384094_thumb.jpg

Thats really nice Vinny, great first picture.

If you want to capture some of the detail on the Moon then you could try taking a picture for 1 or 2 secs so less light is captured and it doesn't cover all the detail, or instead of F5.6 try something like F.10 for the same reason. Also you could try ISO 200 or 400, higher ISO's will make the pictures brighter. Its good to try lots of different settings and then you can see the effects and choose the best. I am no expert though so take this with a pinch of salt!

All the best

Jamie

Very nice result Vinny. Lovely effect you've caught. I like it.

That sort of scene is impossible to capture with a single exposure if you want the clouds and the moon in detail. The dynamic range of the camera just isn't big enough, by a very long way. Then you're getting into the realms of taking a series of different exposures and merging them...

Archived