Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew and Debris Prevention for Binoculars

Was out last night and it's the second time my session has been halted early due to dew forming on my lenses. First of all how can I deal with this? I left the binos inside uncapped for half an hour, to get rid of the dew on the lenses before capping them and putting them away, is this neccesary? I just don't like the idea of moisture forming and re-forming on my lenses!

Secondly, is there anyway I can prevent dew forming? All the dew sheilds I can ifnd online are for telescopes, I don't know wheter they would work - and I would have to buy two! Are there any easy solutions for this problem?

Finally, after having my binos, for nearly two months now, some debris and dust has started to settle on the objective, despit my best efforts at prevention. TBH I don't think they really need cleaning right now, but it looks like they might benefit from it in the future. I don't like the idea of dusting the objective with the provided lens colth - rubbing debris up and down delicate coating seems like a recipie for an optical disaster! What's the best method for getting rid of the debris and dust?

TBH, dew is one of the reasons i really don't care too much for bino astronomy. :)

Heat tapes work well on my 22x100s, and i've read of Amateurs making dewshields for smaller binos from PVC pipe (although i imagine it would add a bit of weight). One solution for non-giant binos would be to get (or make) a binocular mirror mount. You look down instead of up, but then the mirror gets dew on it, and since they're front-surface mirrors, you have to be very careful about removing the dew or you'll scratch the reflective surface.

It's not easy being an Amateur sometimes. :)

Archived