NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cartes du Ciel - Celestron - Vista ?

I have a new laptop with Vista home premium. I loaded Cartes du Ciel v3, ASCOM platform 5a and ASCOM Celestron driver 5.0.14. Cartes runs normally, but when I select 'Telescope/Control Panel/Select' I get a box with:

-Run Time error - 2147220416 (80040440), Failed to open root registry key (5).

Clicking OK gives another box with:

- Check ASCOM driver installed properly.

I think the ASCOM stuff loaded normally. I can used EQMOD to control my EQ6 mount with the same hardware. I've tried reloading s/w but get the same errors. Any ideas?

Have you tried setting Cdc to run under Windows XP under the compatibility tab in properties of the exe file for cdc? Just a thought, that seemed to solve most of the vista problems I was having with the same app.

Sam

I tried setting the properties to 'xp compatibility' and it now runs without the error, and I can select the Celestron scope. I also selected 'run as administrator'. Not had a chance to try and connect to the scope to check control. Thanks for the tip!

Spoke too soon. Although CdC now doesn't give the runtime error, when trying to connect to the scope it displays a message 'There doesn't appear to be a Celestron scope connected to the COM port'. I immediately pulled out my old xp laptop and plugged the USB/serial adapter in and CdC connected and controlled the scope! I found another Vista laptop (from work) and again got the 'no scope on COM port' message.

Stellarium/scope also will not connect to the scope. I would welcome any other suggestions. :)

Ok, managed it in the end. Went to Yahoo group-ASCOM talk and managed to message the ASCOM Celestron driver writer Chris Rowland. He pointed me at a program on that site called HelperNet that repaired my registry (apparent damaged during loading some element of ASCOM/CdC). My problem I think was related to the dll called to access the serial emulator of mu usb/serial adapter.

I may have been premature in assuming success. I ran the HelpNet program and then CdC froze when I selected the celestron driver in the telescope option. I had to close CdC with task manager. I Re-run CdC and I successful connected to the scope, and could control it. I restarted the computer and again CdC stated it did not think a celestron scope was connected, and froze on the select scope option.

I used the same hardware (but no usb serial dongle) on a different Vista (Utimate)laptop with a built in serial port. This worked with no problems. The hardware (with usb/serial dongle) also works with a different XP laptop.

I think the problem with this Vista laptop may be in the communications between the Celestron driver and the USB/serial dongle serial emulator, but I'm not sure what to do to correct it.

Just a thought: others have found that some 'cheap' USB to serial adaptors don't always work as expected. I read somewhere on this forum that those adaptors with the Prolific chip are OK.

Steve

Archived