Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last nights observing (Jupiter)

Athena

About 8pm Saturday evening I checked my weather model and was pleasantly surprised to see clear skies forecasted for after midnight. Just after I finished consulting the model I heard a loud clap of thunder, looking out through the window showed a dark, dismal, and totally overcast vista.

OK I thought, my model needs some tweaking. I had a quick look at the satellite imagery and that seemed to suggest that the cloud might just clear, if so, agreeing with my model. At this stage I started to get a little excited, I thought, yes, it's Saturday night and I might just get some quality telescope time without the worry about getting up the following day. :)

Sure enough, the cloud did clear, excitedly I set up my kit, hoping to get some images of M57 but neglecting to check the current humidity, it was 95%, not quite enough for fog but still high. Almost immediately my optics misted up and it was impossible to keep them clear. The glass at the front of my SCT, my eyepieces, filters and even my eye glasses, all misted...

At about 2AM I reluctantly decided to give up, but just as I was about to drag my equipment back indoors, I noticed that Jupiter had risen and was in a perfect position for observation.

I again demisted my optics and aligned with Jupiter, looking through my 25mm eyepiece, I corrected the focus and suddenly shouted loudly "WOW f**k me" it really is Jupiter." Even at 81x I could clearly see detail in the atmosphere and all four of the Galillean moons, It was a wonderful vista. I upped the magnification to 290x (7mm eyepiece) but sadly it was difficult to focus.

I then installed my DMK camera at prime focus and shot about 150 fames. I did try some LRGB frames but it was getting late and the sun was rising fast so sadly failed. I now have 150 frames of Jupiter, so need to play around and learn image stacking. Hopefully I will post the final image here (if it's any good).

I'm sure I was before but now I'm convinced - I'm _totally_ hooked..... What a wonderful hobby...

Only problem with Astronomy, one needs to be a night owl. I've always been a night awl but astronomy is pushing that to the limit :headbang:

Nikki

Nikki, I am so pleased you managed to get a look at Jupiter - it makes all that weather related frustration worth it and makes you realise why you love astronomy! I had brilliant detail in the Jovian atmosphere at just 61x (ish) mag, when I pushed it up to 195x it was... beyond words. Perhaps the seeing played a part in higher mag being difficult for you.

Looking forward to seeing any images you come up with. Do post them here even if you think they are not up to scratch, there's plenty of expert imagers here who would be more than willing to give you some tips on how to achieve perfection next time :)

Congratulations on seeing Jupiter, Nikki! :) Your 8" f/10 will also allow you to observe shadow transits of Jupiter's satellites (moons), and if the seeing is steady enough, the actual satellite transit itself. :headbang: It sounds like you need a dew prevention system. Clearing the corrector plate periodically (with warm air, i presume?) works, and a dew shield also helps, but a heat strip placed on the OTA keeps the corrector plate just above the air temperature and prevents the plate from fogging up in the first place. :)

(Mod hat on)

Btw, i'm sure members would be more than happy to offer imaging advice here, but this is the Observing Zone..

please post images in one of the appropriate Imaging Zone forums. Thanks! ;)

(Mod hat off)

A

Only problem with Astronomy, one needs to be a night owl. I've always been a night awl but astronomy is pushing that to the limit :headbang:

Nikki

I fell asleep on a sun lounger looking for meteors a few weeks ago. I woke up when the sun started to rise! :)

I fell asleep on a sun lounger looking for meteors a few weeks ago. I woke up when the sun started to rise! :headbang:

If I did that in my neck of the woods the Midges would get me, just be a few bleached bones left for the Posty to find in the morning :)

Archived