NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apollo and the wonders of computers

MartinB

the largest, noisiest daisywheel printer I have ever seen.

Hmmm, daisywheels weren't usually too bad, the really noisy character printers were Westrex 33 teletypes - which sounded rather like smashing bamboo canes with a sledgehammer. But for a really noisy printer, try a high speed line printer of the type that were available even in the 1960s - impact printing 132 characters at a time, 30 lines per second on to big boxes of fanfold lineflow paper....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the film "Apollo 11" I got a real kick out of seeing the scientists all working their slide rules when they got into trouble. I think I still have a slide rule somewhere.

BTW, the Sinclair/Timex computer could be expanded to a megabyte, although I don't know why.

PPS Anyone know why my pic isn't showing up!

Sorted, with this software ou have an Avatar and a Profile picture - they can be different. I've uploaded the same image to your avatar.

Hope that's OK.

When I was a kid I had a Commodore 64, with tape drive. I remember watching WAR GAMES and thinking that I really wanted a modem. :)

Ant

Now I am going down memory lane, I was on a Computing course at the Local Poly we could play MUD games online against other students now that was amazing, whilst playing on my Amiga at home, which with the right bench disk would emulate a PC LOL

Archived