NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Almost had the perfect location....

rikyuu

for astronomy anyway. We are selling our house and moving to rental property. We looked at a converted barn at the weekend on a farm, it would have been ideal for astronomy. Away from any other houses and lit roads, overlooking fields and woods, I immediately thought "telescope" when I saw it. However, it was not to be; the 'boss' didn't like it, too expensive, narrow roads, to far (15 mins!) from the shops etc. etc. :D

Never mind, back to a town location :).

UNLUCKY... But, moving tomorrow, to WALES (Wahay!) - Not ideal? <ducks> But I don't mind the odd 20 min. travel into town ("pensioners special"!) by BUS. "'Ard ooop but 'appy"? We'll see! LOL. The HIGHLY dubious benefit of single status! But at least better than my over-priced "gaff" in this outer London (Oxfordshire!) commuter belt. :)

Yeah we stopped burning holiday cottages a few years ago.... :) <- note smiley.... :D

Where in Wales you going to be living? Some very good skies and some pretty awful ones around the south coast .... oh and rain... just get used to the rain....

Free prescriptions as well (at least at the moment) ....

UNLUCKY... But, moving tomorrow, to WALES (Wahay!) - Not ideal? <ducks> But I don't mind the odd 20 min. travel into town ("pensioners special"!) by BUS. "'Ard ooop but 'appy"? We'll see! LOL. The HIGHLY dubious benefit of single status! But at least better than my over-priced "gaff" in this outer London (Oxfordshire!) commuter belt. :)

I envy you, I do like Wales. I could become single, but then the expense of that would preclude being able to afford the barn conversion. I think squating in an unconverted barn would be my limit! :D

Heheh. Well, I decided to plump for the "hinterlands" above Colwyn Bay - MY mother was (in her own words!) "Llandudno Welsh" so, aside from the essential summer holiday (every bloomin; year [teasing]), I shall look forward to "returning"... well, as I see it! :D

Yes, it rains a lot. On the other hand, sometimes you get a CHANGE of weather? Oddly, I do remember those stark CLEAR nights of my youth... perhaps it has changed. But "Nain's" back yard, just me and my BINOCULARS, oil lamps, the outside "privie" etc. :)

When i went into a gargage looking for directions up North the "locals" were speaking Welsh...... I made the mistake of askign for directions in my "broken" South Walian Welsh once in North Wales... I guess I would probably have got a better response If I had asked in english....

They say the Brits and the "Yanks" are two countries seperate by a common language... the same is true much closer to home...

There should be plenty of opportunites for decent skies up there...

Croeso i Gymru :)

Peter...

Congrats Mcavity, long life, health, and clear skies in your new home!! :p

Yeah we stopped burning holiday cottages a few years ago.... :) <- note smiley.... :)

Free prescriptions as well (at least at the moment) ....

Darn, I live on the wrong side of the border...:)

Seriously though, do you guys suffer the same affliction as us, the Second Home/Ghost Village syndrome? Thought it was too far for "them", as by the time they have arrived, it's time to go back....

I have a pal from Lampeter who moved to the same village as me this year because the locals there thought she wasn't Welsh and she was having a hard time...

She's a 3rd generation both sides, bona fide Cardiff lass....:D

It gets even better with the "townies" who move into the estates where there used to be green belt... then complain when the cows go moo and the chickens go cluck... and the awful smell when your muck spreading... and then have the bare faced cheek to come wandering across the land where theres no right of way and complain when you shoot a few hundred yards away from them (not at tehm) ... when they have the dogs running free across the fields...

AAAARRRGHHHHH!!!!!

Archived