Going to build my own observatory for my kit.

Catanonia

Getting annoyed of setting up and stripping down and want somewhere all fixed for the winter nights coming.

The plan is

1. Set out about 12 standard paving slabs in the location in the garden with somewhat decent (ish) 360 views.

2. Get some fence panels (basically shed sides) and make a 4 wall shed 3.6m my 1.8m

3. 1/2 of the shed will be flat (ish) roof for a warn room whilst the other 1/2 will be for the scope on a EQ6 tripod. Will consider a fixed concrete mount later on when build done.

4. Basically sink some timbers directly into the ground, secure the fence panels to them and water proof as much as I can.

5. The 1/2 with the scope in, well going to build a pyramid roof with fold down sides to open depending where I am gazing.

6. Future plan would be to add a circular rail to have the roof rotate.

Watch this space, think is going to cost about £250 to do and some sweat, but should be worth it.

Have power already in the garden so hopefully will work out.

Quick question. Where can I get a circular metal track with flanges ??

I'd rethink the pyrimidal roof since they narrow towards the zenith which is a PITA.. I modified my obs roof a few moths ago becasue of this sort of problem...

Mine now has a wide vertical panel and slide off roof which gives me almost 60 degree FOV from Horizon to Zenith and beyond...

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/Vo53RtSWWp7BfwV7vAeRig?feat=directlink

Peter....

Any pictures of it opened ?

The pyramid roof design will be a very low aspect design primarily to all me to open 1 or more sides with no strut bars to prevent this problem. I can open 2 of the sides and give a full 180 view. The main reason is for water drainage and to give me a fighting chance of stopping water leaks with a low profile pyramid design.

The scopes and mount will be covered inside with a motorcycle cover when not used incase of leaks.

Hi Psychobilly

Quite interested in this design.

do you have any plan details please?

What material did you use for walls and roof?

does it rotate?

If so what track and turning gear do use please?

would like to try your design thats if you haven't patented it :)

best regards mattifor

Hi Mattifor ,

I sort of made it up as i went along and there are some bits that have been butchered from the original design as they just didn't work. It doesn't really stand up well to close inspection as the joints needed a lot of expanding foam covered (about 15 large tins of foam) with silicone (about 30 tubes) to seal them ...

It's made of UPVC ship lap but these days you can by "panelised " ship lap which would be better for the walls.. as there would be a lot less cutting...

Lots of the woodwork was laser cut from 19mm exterior ply as there were so many joints to cut... and also it allowed the dome rings to be accurately cut and jointed..

The top of the wall has two offset 8 segment rings of 19mm ply that are glued together the dome uses a single ring..

The roof rotates... Again I would make some changes to how its done... its functional... The dome sits on 12 "Ball Transfer units" which is a large ball bearing sitting in a cup which contains smaller ball bearings , they are used for materials handling tables.. The dome is held centrally using 3 wheels that run on the vertical face of the wall ring...

Peter...

Only "plans" i drew up was for the original roof.. so that the parts could be laser cut and the parts ended up being "hacked" the original top layer was too flat , the zenith hole to small and the viewport too narrow at the top...

The dims would depend on the material that you were using...

I just had a look and all the build pics are no longer available on the SAN forum :)

I'll have a look what I can find on the old pc's in the house when i get home...

Peter...

I'd re-consider the idea of using fence panels as walls. Fence panels are not designed to be weather proof and I fear you may end up with a very windswept and wet telescope.

I've seen quite a few designs which use sheets of thick Sterling Board (aka orientated strand board - OSB) which are then clad in shiplap. This seems to be particularly popular in the US. Or you could simply build a simple frame and clad it with shiplap.

a few years ago i was after a quick bit of tempory extra storage and built a small lean to out of sterling board with posts as a frame, it lasted ok for a few years despite not even been treated or painted. if the time / cost of ship lap is prohibitive then id say you could build a frame and then clad it in sterling board and then replace the board with shiplap at a later date. won't be pretty but should work ( make sure you do treat / paint it) and it's looks may have the advantage of appearing to have nothing of value inside

Indeed,

Hopefully this will be a temporary solution until I decide to get a proper dome. The scope will be covered when inside with a waterproof bike cover and no electrics will be left inside. The main reason for the build is to have a pernament setup with scopes ready aligned.

I could then later, line the inside of the structure with cheaper materials. My garden shed has been like this for some years with hardly any problems.

Security, touch wood, isn't a major problem, main just general protection and pernament installation.

I'd re-consider the idea of using fence panels as walls. Fence panels are not designed to be weather proof and I fear you may end up with a very windswept and wet telescope.

I've seen quite a few designs which use sheets of thick Sterling Board (aka orientated strand board - OSB) which are then clad in shiplap. This seems to be particularly popular in the US. Or you could simply build a simple frame and clad it with shiplap.

Progress alot today. All the concrete slabs are down and 4 out of the 6 sides are up and taking shape.

The design is a 12x6ft shed with a flat roof split into two, observation area and warm room. The shed is re-enforced with an external timber skeleton and internal cross members.

Major decision was made today to have a sliding obs roof over the warm room.

More pictures and report on my web site. See my signature.

Roof felting went on the warm room section and the batons for the rolling roof guides were started.

Actually got to use it for the 1st time last night and was great. It really keeps the wind off the scope with only to top of it pointing out of the observatory :)

Updates on my site.

Well, I have to be honest here and say I would be very nervous of an observatory made of fence panels and corrugated roofing.

While it looks like it will keep the worst of the wether out, its certainly not waterproof and I'm worried what will happen in a strong wind....

Well, I have to be honest here and say I would be very nervous of an observatory made of fence panels and corrugated roofing.

While it looks like it will keep the worst of the wether out, its certainly not waterproof and I'm worried what will happen in a strong wind....

Ok had a good downpour today as well as a thunderstorm with good winds. Everything was as dry as a babies bum with super pampers on. Only problem is the slidey roof sags and collects water.

Need to this w/e take it off and stiffen it more so it will naturally run off.

Quite impressed with it. It has ventelation, not too much and yes if subjected to horizontal rain for 3 hours will leak a bit (hence bike cover on scopes) but today was pretty much fierce rain at 30 degrees and it copped very well. Everything bone dry :)

Also a nice temperature inside due to air gaps under the roof evenn though been in sun all day between storms.

As for being solid, well it is solid enough for me to walk on the warm room flat roof :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooohh just had a look at your observatory and I don´t like those hedges! They look a bit high.

I like the observatory, looks a good basis and you can add to it over time.

Can´t you accidentally chop a few hedges down?

Neil C

Ooohh just had a look at your observatory and I don´t like those hedges! They look a bit high.

I like the observatory, looks a good basis and you can add to it over time.

Can´t you accidentally chop a few hedges down?

Neil C

great for keeping other people from nosing in the garden, bad for low down viewing. I have 360 degree views, BUT from about 30 degrees upwards in most places. Not too bad for a garden.

I am going to lob about 2 foot of those hedges soon :)

Archived