Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newby DSLR question

Starfleet

Can someone pls recomend to me a beginner's level Digital SLR camera for capturing faint stars on my telescope?

I dont want to go into very sofisticated photography (very technophobia I am!) I just need a camera to take snappy picture if I aim it into the eyepiece and capture what is showing in the exit pupil.

I really hope there is a simple and cheap DSLR available. Much appreciate it.

Thank you, yes i'm on a budget right now so maybe the 300D is the best one for me.

This guy I ask him which one of methods is best and he said, "afocal projection or prime focus astrophotography".

If i want to image using a 8-inch reflecting telescope with say 200x magnification on the barlow eyepiece, which is the best methodology in your experience? What does Afocal really mean? cheers again, I'm sorry I have no experience with astrophotography at all

Afocal is taking a picture through an eyepiece, prime focus is using the camera instead of an eyepiece. Afocal will give more magnifiaction since the EP will decide the image scale - prime focus will use the image scale determined by the scope specification multiplied by any barlow/reducer you put in front of the camera.

Arthur

After trying Afocal and Eye Piece Projection, I decided that Prime Focus gave the best and most consistent results for imaging with a DSLR. I think most imagers' on SGL with a DSLR use Prime Focus.

For this you remove the lens from the DSLR and connect it to the scope with a 'T' adaptor to suit your camera. The scope then becomes a large telephoto lens for the DSLR. You can use a Barlow with this system to increase the image scale. With a reflector scope you may have problems with getting enough back focus to use the DSLR at Prime Focus. This problem can be sorted by getting a lower profile focusser.

Canon DSLR's seem to be better supported for astro imaging than other makes. The Nikon is also a fine astro DSLR.

MD

Cheap DSLR was the original post...... Nikon D80... still the best part of £500 for the body...

As Millamber said a used Canon 300d or 350D would be an excellent starting point and if you decide its not for you then can be moved on at little or no loss...

Peter...

Archived