NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 40D, remote shooting + mirror lockup

Hi,

I have been experimenting with remote shooting using a Canon 40D.

I use the Canon Utility software and live-view function to display the live image on my laptop screen, and then capture the image using the remote shooting function. All of this works very well until I set the mirror lock-up function on the camera, when I do this live-view still works, but when I try to capture the image using the remote shooting software nothing happens. I have looked through the Canon manuals, but there is nothing to suggest that you cannot use mirror lock-up while shooting remotely. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, if so did you manage to overcome it?

Thanks in anticipation, regards, Herrman.

PS If anyone is interested..... the Canon 40D does seem to be an awesome bit of kit, the live view function is excellent and makes focusing a piece of cake. I will post some images once I am happy with the results

I had the same problem with my 1000D. I emailed Canon Cust. Serv. and they also checked on a number of different camera types. This was their reply:

Thank you for contacting Canon.

I tested the feature with which you are having trouble on a few of our cameras, including the 1000D and the phenomena seems normal. The mirror will not lock up during remote capture unless live view is enabled.

I understand your point about sensor temperature and using the live view. I can only suggest that you use a lower ISO speed to ensure that less current is flowing through the sensor, reducing the heat produced within it.

So basically, you cannot use mirror lockup if you are using the camera remotely via software. You can work around it by turning mirror lockup off and using liveview (which locks up the mirror!). However, liveview warms up the sensor and can increase noise. Canon did say they would pass my comment on to their software people who may incorporate it into a later s/w release.

Hi Blinky,

Thanks for your advice on the mirror lock-up. The mirror makes such a loud clunk when it moves I had assumed that this would cause a lot of vibration, but if it doesn't, then good; it's one less thin to fiddle with! Bye the way, your images can't be any worse than mine! All the best, Herrman.

Thanks for your reply BlueAstra.

I was interested by the response you received from Canon; I guess it makes sense of sorts- how could you lock-up the mirror if it's already in the up position to permit live viewing? From this I assume that when you hit the shutter button, the mirror stays up and image is captured before the mirror drops back down. Presto- no vibration! Well, I will be going outside as soon as the weather clears to put it to the test.

Thanks again for your thoughts, regards, Herrman

Archived