Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White Light Solar Imaging - I've cracked it!

brianb

Hey, I managed to get a decent image of the spot group in white light again ... I think I know how to do this now! Trick is getting the focus right....

Sun-090604-1315-WL-AR1019-X4.jpg

2009 Jun 04, 1315 UT, 80mm refractor, 4x imagemate, Baader solar film filter & Baader solar continuum filter, Imaging Source DMK41 camera, processed in Registax & Photoshop Elements. Transparency good, seeing variable, mostly poor but with fairly good intervals.

Excellent, I've only tried solar imaging once with the Baader solar film, but the image had no detail. I thought an expensive narrow band filter was the only way forward, but that's a cracking image with the Solar continuum filter

Thanks guys... really appreciated!

that's a cracking image with the Solar continuum filter

Hmmm, I don't think I'd need the continuum filter if the colour correction on the scope was up to scratch ... If you have an ordinary green, deep yellow or orange filter, I'd try that (in conjunction with solar film - which is essential to protect your eyes and equipment) before spending money on the continuum filter. The continuum filter is good, no dount about that, but you may be able to get 80% or more of the effect for 20% of the price.

Brian,

I tried all the other coloured filters and some LPI, Oiii, DSO Ha (7nm) filters with the Baader solar film, and found the best constrast was with the green filters; hence the change to the continuum!

Just my Ozzie 2c.

Just been out and had a look at the sun for the 1st time with my 8" Cape ( in between the clouds), appears a little bland this am

Yes, I can't see even a pore visually so no white light images today. Not much on the prominence front either. The plage associated with the AR is still very noticeable in calcium & hydrogen alpha though.

Archived