Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner seeks binocular advice.

Hi, I am developing a bit of an interest in astronomy and have been reading around and found out that it's a good idea to start off with a decent pair of binoculars for observing.

I have been hunting around for an affordable but decent first set and was looking at these ones

Revelation 15x70 Binocular Special Offer

These are in my planned price range to get me started and wondered if anyone had any experience with these ? Are they similar to the Skymaster 15x70 as these area another set I was looking at but not sure I can stretch the budget that far yet.

Also are telescopehouse a good retailer ?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Becchiooo, welcome to Stargazers Lounge :icon_salut:.

I don't have those binoculars, but I do know that there are several people that do. Someone recently posted a review of them:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/80839-review-first-light-report-revelation-15x70-binoculars.html

They seem to be good value. AS for Telescope House as a dealer, I've only dealt with them twice, but have had no problems. Their web site is apparently up to the minute wit respect to stock levels, so you can be pretty certain if something is available.

I would recommend having a read around the Binoculars section of this site, there's lots of useful info specific to binos. But don't forget that the other areas have lots of useful info too.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi from another beginner! This is what I learned while researching for my own bino purchase...

I think the revelations are identical to the Skymasters, and I found them good binos for the price. I recieved my pair last week and my review is in the first page of the Observing-Binouclars forum on this site. I believe andrew has also done a review of them which I found very useful, just put "Revelation 15x70" in the search box. Do bear in mind, some pairs of the same make can be better or worse than others.

As a beginner, you have to look at what you want from the binos. For example, 15x70s have to be mounted for good views and have a relativly narrow field of view compared to 7/10x50 or similar which can be handheld (altough are usually worth mounting, especially for heavier models) and the wider field of fiew makes learning the sky through them and finding objects easier, altough you do obviously trade off a significant amount of light gathering and magnification for this, therefore you cannot see dimmer objects, and cannot see as much detail in brighter ones. You can go even lighter - 8x40 and similar. Also, think about your budget, not all binoculars of the same size are made equal, and you generally get what you pay for in optical quality. However, remember, there is a lot to be seen through any decent astro binos!

Someone more experienced will probably be along in a bit, to explain things better and more correctly!

Good Luck,

James.

Review read and bins ordered. Seem a fairly decent set for the price and a great introduction for me into learning more about what's up there.

Been looking at saturn and jupiter this week with a pair of old 8x40 tasco bins so I look forward to testing them out.

You might want to order an observing guide to help you as well. Turn Left at Orion is a good one, definatly more geared towards small scopes, but I found that the binos perform well on most of the most of the objects in turn left, apart from double stars. Binos aren't really meant for double stars, but you can split some of the more well split ones quite easily e.g. Albeiro, Mizar/Alcor, and see elongation in some of the others listed.

Or you might want to go for a more dedicated binocular observing guide, not sure what the best titles are for binos, think this will be my next astro purchase myself to be honest! These will probably be less high-magnification (i.e. small scopes) orientated.

BTW, have you bought them with a tripod or other mounting solution, or have you already got one? Or are you going to brave the shakes for a while!?

Let us know how you get on,

James.

Will do. Are you a glasses wearer James ? I am and wondered if that should make a difference to how I use them ? I noticed the bins have fold back rubber eye cups which is handy, but in the past I have always taken my glasses off before using binoculars.

I can't believe that price. I bought them at rather more than that 3 years ago and consider them maybe the best value item on our kit list! One thing; if they still have the plastic tripod adapter, just fill in the hollows with epoxy resin (Araldite) and little steel bars (old bolts..) and you will find the adapter will be transformed from jelly to steel.

Honestly, optics and mechanicals at that price are quite incredible. You will keep them forever. With the fold down eye guards I find all my guests can be comfortable with them and a visiting professional telescope optician - serious expert - pronounced them 'not bad.' If you'd looked through the Schmidt Cassegrain he'd made you'd know that Not Bad was serious praise. And at fifty quid, hey...

Olly

Finally got a clear night and the bins are impressive, amazing how much stuff you can see. Don't know what exactly I am looking at and am just scanning around like a loon.

Not sure about the tripod bracket, seems a bit wobbly to me.

I was checking out one really bright star high towards the east, possibly Vega according to stellarium, and sort of about 8 o'clock position I could see two stars which look almost identical to the bins and seem really close together (see crude diagram).

Anyone know what they are ?

Thanks.

th_65142_stars_122_940lo.jpg

Thanks. The binoculars are great for the money, exceeded my expectations. Just come in after a good hour or so scanning around, not a cloud in the sky. Some of the colours of stars are surprising, Antares looked lovely.

My bins when I came in from the cold have steamed up a bit, is it best to leave them or clean them immediately ?

No need to touch the binoculars,just let them warm up on their own. Just a tip for next time, if they are not misted up before you bring them in,cap them and then bring them in. It always seems to work for me.

Good to see you have clear skies.

Don't forget we have a binocular forum in the observing section.

Glen.

Archived